Dessert Poll

How often do you make or have desert at home?

• Total voters

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Is desert an everyday dish for you? Or is it something limited to certain occasions? In the words of Erma Bombeck, "Life is short; eat dessert first", or, in the words of Peg Bracken, "People are too fat anyway"?

Which style is yours, and WHY?

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
i voted once a week or so. it's closer to the "or so".

if we go out to eat, we almost always order a dessert. you only live once (this time around), so you might as well go from soup to nuts, and back to dessert again, lol.

it's also the only time i drink coffee. i'll get a double espresso to go with the little "dulce". many desserts can be too sweet, so the bitter coffee sets a background to cut through and balance it.

at home, we only have a proper dessert; that which is served within a short time after dinner, on special occasions, or if dw or i pick up something we've been craving and had the opportunity.

now, i have a late snack, something sweet, or salty, or both almost every night. :bounce: :pig:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
One of the many lines I'm known for uttering is: "I want something sweet" It's not necessarily after dinner, it could be after lunch. I rarely have two desserts in one day, but it's been known to happen:whistling:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I wasn't sure how to answer this, because I almost always have home baked cookies on hand, but we don't necessarily have them at the end of our evening meal as "dessert." We are more likely to have them with our afternoon coffee. Real "dessert" is really only when we have company for dinner.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm a "rarely" too. I have been known to get up in the middle of the night and have a fudgesicle :wub: occasionally.

vyapti

I would have picked never, but it's not a health thing. I just don't like desserts. If I want indulge, I'd much rather sink my calories into comfort food than sweets.

Guts

I voted every day though I might miss a day or two a week. Gota have something sweet!

Leni

I've never eaten dessert every day and now that my DH needs to lose a lot of weight I very rarely make dessert. We're usually full by the time we finish dinner.

mhend

It's rare for us to have dessert here. The kids and I will bake cookies or a cake maybe once a month or so.

goatherder

the only time I make desserts is when company comes, but we have company frequently. okay, we had company 18 days this month but did not have dessert with every dinner. Company is coming tomorrow and I plan to fix brownies. I voted Hit or miss. I almost voted rarely, but company comes more than rarely

Last edited:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I just don't care for sweets. I never make dessert for myself. When I cook for company, the dessert will be something unusual like a Belgian flavored beer. However, If I have chocolate in the house. It gets eaten quickly.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I'm usually to fool from the meal to even think about dessert. I usually set a couple of items of dessert out for christmas but even then I don't eat any of it.

loboloco

We will bake a cake or pie, and eat it for desert until gone then wait a little and do it again with a different recipe.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I would have picked never, but it's not a health thing. I just don't like desserts. If I want indulge, I'd much rather sink my calories into comfort food than sweets.

Same here.. or something fried, crunchy or anything that is savoury to the taste buds other than sweet.
Put a slice of chocolate cake or a bowl of popcorn, pretzels or potato chips in front of me, and I'd choose the latter.. every time.

However, when I want something sweet, I crave it like mad.. but that only comes once in a blue moon.
Chilled lemon cake, white wedding cake, key lime pie, pb cookies, jam tart, pumpkin pie.. reserved and only eaten on special occasions.. with relish (not that kind of relish lol)