Whole Cauliflower Braised in Tomato Sauce

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I looked up "braised cauliflower" recipes and found two that looked good. So I made them both (a week apart).

The first recipe, a whole head of cauliflower braised in tomato sauce with some puttanesca ingredients, would make a great presentation for company. But after it was cooked, I cut it into florets so I could take it for lunch in Tupperware.

Delicious!

Whole Cauliflower Braised in Tomato Sauce http://paleogrubs.com/braised-cauliflower-in-tomato-sauce

Ingredients

1. 1 head cauliflower, large outside leaves removed
  2. 1 25-ounce jar paleo-friendly roasted garlic tomato sauce (I used a jar of Ragu)
  3. 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  4. 1 teaspoon chili powder
  5. 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  6. 1 tablespoon onion powder
  7. Freshly ground pepper
  8. 4 anchovy filets, drained and chopped
  9. 1 handful pitted kalamata olives
  10. 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  11. 1 tablespoon olive oil
  12. Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish

Instructions

1. Place whole head of cauliflower in a large pot to judge for fit. It should fit comfortably, with 1 to 2 inches of room left on all sides. Take out cauliflower and set aside.
  2. Pour in tomato sauce, then add parsley, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, and freshly ground pepper. Bring to sauce to a simmer over medium heat.
  3. Stir in anchovies, olives, and red-wine vinegar, then bring to a low boil.
  4. Gently push whole head of cauliflower down into the sauce. (Sauce should come halfway up the sides of the cauliflower). Drizzle with olive oil and cover.
  5. Let cook over low heat for 45 minutes. To serve, garnish with chopped parsley.
  6. I added a couple of sliced-up chicken sausages.

Attachments

• Whole cauliflower 1.jpg
    Whole cauliflower 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Whole cauliflower 2.jpg
    Whole cauliflower 2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 102