GALS Entries in the Outdoor Cooking/Grilling/Smoking Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I do indeed LOVE my new grill Cooksie! Tonight was a grilled pizza topped with mozzarella cheese, green peppers, baby bella mushrooms, black olives, grape tomatoes, canadian bacon and green onion tops. I have a tendency to get a little carried away with the toppings :blush:

Attachments

• dinner06262010-1.jpg
    dinner06262010-1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 311
  • dinner06262010-2.jpg
    dinner06262010-2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 307

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:thumb: I could really go for that pizza. I love the toppings! I think we're just about ready to buy a new gas grill. We have to have one that fits on the patio, so it will be small. I just want to be able to cook in the shade and cook whether it's raining or not.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Cooksie and Keltin! We just finished an experiment for dessert! Grilled apple turnovers with ice cream! WHO KNEW :w00t2:

Attachments

• grilledappleturnover01.jpg
    grilledappleturnover01.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 282
  • grilledappleturnover02.jpg
    grilledappleturnover02.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 279
  • grilledappleturnover00.jpg
    grilledappleturnover00.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 275

FooD

Dang! Us boys like to play with fire but when it gets down to getting the end product on the plate you girls are good.

Phiddlechik

Shrimp was marinated in chipotle oil, vinegar, home blend chili powder, smoked paprika, Tabasco, pepper.
S&P on the steak.
Cheese spread on toasts, sour cream, parmesan, myzthira, ranch dressing mix

Attachments

• IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 271

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:clap:Love the surf and turf, Phiddlechick! :clap:

Lol--I wish my "experiments" came out like that, Mama. Just beautiful!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Pulled Pork Sandwiches

8 lb pork butt, trimmed a little, tied, rubbed, and ready for the overnight stay in the refrigerator:

IMG_2457.jpg

Out of the smoker, rested a bit, pulled the bone out, and started pulling it apart:

IMG_2469.jpg

The sandwiches:

IMG_2484.jpg

My tale :mrgreen:: Not perfect by any means, but pretty tasty and a fun learning experience. Next time I probably won't tie the meat at all. I kind of think that is one of the factors (or perhaps I just tied it too tightly) that led to such a looonnnggg cook time, about 11 hours total. I'll also probably just score the fat and skip the trimming. And, next time I won't trust my meat probe (pos that's going back to Academy). I ended up wrapping it in foil for about the last hour. The meat probe was still not reading 195, so I brought it in and was going to put it in the oven. On a whim, I decided to use my kitchen thermometer just to see if the meat probe was wacky. It was. Temp of the meat was at 200. Lucky, lucky!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Looks great Phiddlechik!

Cooksie...O-M-G! Looks pretty darn "perfect" to me!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Grilled buffalo wings:

1 cup of Franks Red hot sauce
1 stick of butter
1 tsp of minced garlic
1 tsp. of onion flakes
3 tablespoons of light brown sugar
1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce

I put everything in a saucepan, brought it to a boil and cooked it for about 2 minutes. I covered the sauce and set it aside until the wings were about 10 minutes from being done. I dipped them in the sauce and returned to the grill and continued grilling on low until the wings were done.
grilled buffalo wings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mhend

Ok, here is my entry. I used Keltin's technique of using indirect heat to cook a meatloaf on the grill. I am still very new at this, but I gotta say that is the best meatloaf I have ever had in my life. I can't remember who said it in another post, but I agree: Keltin is a grilling GOD. :agree:

100_1771.jpg

100_1763.jpg

100_1766.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome job mhend!! :clap:

That meatloaf looks lovely. Did you have any left for sandwiches?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yum on that meatloaf, mhend :applause:. I'm so glad that you jumped in and decided to play.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
WOW!! All your food looks fantastic!!

I am having BBQ difficulties!! I am afraid the bottom will drop out of my cheapo grill and burn my deck down!! LOL We need to get a better one but can't for a few weeks so I may not be able to participate. :sad: :sorry:

When does this challenge end?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
WOW!! All your food looks fantastic!!

I am having BBQ difficulties!! I am afraid the bottom will drop out of my cheapo grill and burn my deck down!! LOL We need to get a better one but can't for a few weeks so I may not be able to participate. :sad: :sorry:

When does this challenge end?

Keltin needs an extra day, so it looks like it will be through Tuesday the 6th with the poll on the 7th.

Lol--I wouldn't take a chance. Burning down the deck = :shitHitsFan:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh, I want one of those Cooksie! Looks delish!

:mrgreen::mrgreen: I wish I could send you some! A pork butt yields lots of meat, so I've got to get my thinking cap on to come up with some other ways to use it.....maybe some redbeans and rice.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Grilled up some locally-made sweet Italian sausages the other night.

We had two of them along with grilled vidalias and red peppers, in sub rolls. The other two will be in a dish later this week.

Lee
Italian sausages, grilled.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, thanks for sharing your photos and text re: your experience smoking pork butt!

You did just what thousands of others of barbecuers do, when things don't go exactly as planned - you try something else, a plan B, and a plan C, if necessary. And you wait.

GREAT JOB!!

11 hours does not sound out of the ordinary, depending on where your cooker temp was.

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm definitely going to be trying that meatloaf...that looks awesome. Good looking Brats too, Lee! Here's some boneless, skinless chicken breast that I marinated in Italian Dressing and grilled. I cooked the california veggies in a tin foil packet as well as the frozen mini ears of corn and the Sister Shuberts rolls.

Attachments

• dinner07012010.jpg
    dinner07012010.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 264
  • grilledchicken00.jpg
    grilledchicken00.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 265
  • grilledchicken.jpg
    grilledchicken.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.