say goodbye, Mr. Groundhog . . .

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
last year I became blessed with a garden resident groundhog in my garden. he ate everything to the ground, I was seriously unhappy.

stuffed a bunch of cat droppings down his burrow; he disappeared.

the groundhog (? - the same - ?) reappeared just recently - I noticed yesterday the burrow was freshly re-excavated.

Hav-a-Heart trap; half an ear of sweet corn; 90 minutes later in broad daylight.... done. veddy irate groundhog in trap; stuffed into corrugated box for 2 mile transport, released.

methinks it was the aroma of the corn -

so now I need to plug up the burrow and make sure it's just one I'm dealing with.....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Great job on getting rid of the groundhog. I have two havaheart's on permanent standby as most of my neighbors have groundhogs. When they come into my yard it's trap, transport and release.

If I can make a suggestion, what I read said transport should be 5 miles plus as they tend to come back with less.

Also, be careful who might see you transport and release as in some states transport is illegal due to rabies concerns. Trapping is OK then you are supposed to kill them.

I am really tempted to have mittens made if he\hey come back. LOL

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we're in a semi-rural area - it's possible Mr. Gee Hog could find his way back, but methinks unlikely. plus, there's the problem of three busy roads . . . (g)

rabies... some years back I saw a mega-sized possum waddling past the side at noon time. now, possum, noon, broad daylight.... not likely a healthy animal. so, I popped it. called the local game people thinking they might want to check it for rabies. their reaction: why are you calling us?
so - if its a problem I'll let the cop hold the groundhog while I get out my ID for the ticket.

I kernel-cut a dozen ears of corn for the freezer - tossed the cobs, etc., in the compost. yesterday cutting the grass I came across three cobs that had been dragged away. I'm hoping it was squirrels.....at least they were not in the g-hog's 'to the woods' route.

Johnny West

Ground hogs are not a game animal and usually shot on sight - and you don't have to be dentist rich to shoot them. My bud in Iowa shoots them for a ground hog BBQ: skin, parboil and grill over the coals, then top with your favorite BBQ or wrap in foil for pulled ground hog sandwiches. All rodents are good to eat, except I didn't care for muskrats.

Last edited:

Johnny West

Don't ask, don't tell.

You need to move, that's what my huntnbud, Little Johnny did.

I fly through Newark occasionally but have no reason, ever, to visit that state. I do have fond memories of Ft. Dix. lol

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ruger 77-17 Mach II with 3x9 variable Nikon is my rodent repellant of choice. Rather quiet, even in the city. Very effective round.

Attachments

• 17 cal Mach II.jpg
    17 cal Mach II.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 186

Johnny West

Ruger 77-17 Mach II with 3x9 variable Nikon is my rodent repellant of choice. Rather quiet, even in the city. Very effective round.

Yup, my bud in OR has a Savage in .17 and when it goes off the vultures start hovering. I didn't think it was quiet, though. I shoot CB's in the Chipmunk and they are louder than you'd think. I'd love a Chipmunk in a .17.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yup, my bud in OR has a Savage in .17 and when it goes off the vultures start hovering. I didn't think it was quiet, though. I shoot CB's in the Chipmunk and they are louder than you'd think. I'd love a Chipmunk in a .17.

My oldest brother is a pellet rifle junkie. He must have 10 different ones from .177 to .25 cal. He brought few of them to my other brother's farm for us to try out, and I was duly impressed at the advancements in pellet rifles, as well as the hitting power. His favorite city squirrel gun is the Hatson Striker 1000X. in .25 cal