Any TNT recipes using garam masala?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I found a recipe for Chana Masala (chickpea dish) that called for garam masala. About a month ago, I tossed the jar of it that I'd had forever and never used.

So, I bought a bag of it (about a pint - enough to last me several lifetimes) and now I'm looking for recipes, TNT especially.

Frankly, I'm not fond of the flavor of cinnamon and cloves in my savory dishes, but I'm willing to experiment by using just a little at a time.

Anyone?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, medtran!

I find it interesting that at least 2 of the recipes you posted called for additional cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, etc. that are all in garam masala anyway. At least, they are all in the blend I have.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Maybe they wanted more of those spices, but not the others that are in garam masala? That would have to be my guess. Regardless, they were all good. We especially like the beef and have made it quite a few times. We don't eat a whole lot of fish even though we both know we should. When we were SCUBA diving and hunting, we'd eat fish a bit more, but still not that often as we were real selective about what we'd take.

Do you like spicy stuff at all? If so, think about trying something with harissa. You can adjust the spice by how much you use. I have an excellent vegan/vegetarian (if you use the egg) meal, though it is a good bit of work, that uses harissa. It's also paleo friendly. I found the recipe because Dogboa was fussing at me for not using the spiralizer we bought. Oh, and neither of us could stop eating the brussel sprout chips, so make extra. I had to slap DB's hands away a couple of times so we'd have enough for the dish. :)

http://tasty-yummies.com/butternut-...ashew-cream-and-crispy-brussels-sprout-chips/

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks delicious, med! Anything topped with an egg gets my attention!

Love the looks of the Brussels sprouts chips!

Thank you!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I made an egg curry once and even posted the pics on here.
It did contain garam masala and coconut milk.. etc.
Don't recall the recipe.
It's somewhere out there in recipeland.
:biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like the idea of basting the eggs in butter and browning them.

Me, too! I have some HB eggs in the fridge and I may try this on them. Not the whole recipe, just the browning in butter part.

Fenugreek is another spice I recently tossed because I hadn't used any in ages. Dammit.

Lee

Johnny West

My mrs been making a lot of Indian dishes of late and had this last night - she used roast chicken from the commissary deli section and it was excellent. I'm not sure this was the recipe she used but know it's close. She subbed cayenne and went a bit over board and guess the heat was past #3. I like it. She also use frozen cauliflower rice. In Whistler she used wild rice and it was a hit.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chicken-tikka-masala

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My mrs been making a lot of Indian dishes of late and had this last night - she used roast chicken from the commissary deli section and it was excellent. I'm not sure this was the recipe she used but know it's close. She subbed cayenne and went a bit over board and guess the heat was past #3. I like it. She also use frozen cauliflower rice. In Whistler she used wild rice and it was a hit.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chicken-tikka-masala

Ah, THERE you are! Welcome back, John!

This recipe looks terrific! Printed out to make.

Thanks!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this and it was great!

I didn't have cardamom pods - I used about a teas. of ground cardamom. And I used fat free Half and Half instead of heavy cream.

A reviewer said that she wished she had some cauliflower to toss in there - I served mine over steamed cauliflower instead of rice.

And the Naan made it! Tore off small pieces and grabbed pieces of chicken and cauliflower with my hands. Tasted way better that way than using a fork, LOL!

Thanks again, John!

For those of us who prefer to read a recipe in a post rather than click on a link, here it is:

Chicken Tikka Masala
Ingredients
6 Servings
· 6 garlic cloves, finely grated
· 4 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
· 4 teaspoons ground turmeric
· 2 teaspoons garam masala
· 2 teaspoons ground coriander
· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
· 1½ cups whole-milk yogurt (not Greek)
· 1 tablespoon kosher salt
· 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
· 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
· 1 small onion, thinly sliced
· ¼ cup tomato paste
· 6 cardamom pods, crushed
· 2 dried chiles de árbol or 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
· 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
· 2 cups heavy cream
· ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus sprigs for garnish
· Steamed basmati rice (for serving)t
Preparation
Combine garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk yogurt, salt, and half of spice mixture in a medium bowl; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and chill 4-6 hours. Cover and chill remaining spice mixture.
Heat ghee in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom, and chiles and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining half of spice mixture and cook, stirring often, until bottom of pot begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, until sauce thickens, 8-10 minutes.
Add cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 30-40 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside sheet. Arrange chicken on rack in a single layer. Broil until chicken starts to blacken in spots (it will not be cooked through), about 10 minutes.
Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, add to sauce, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice and cilantro sprigs.
Do Ahead: Chicken can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill. Reheat before serving.

Lee

Attachments

• Chicken tikki masala 1.JPG
    Chicken tikki masala 1.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Chicken tikki masala 2.JPG
    Chicken tikki masala 2.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Chicken tikki masala 3 - plated.JPG
    Chicken tikki masala 3 - plated.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 106

Johnny West

Here is another good one to try that is vegetarian.

Navratan Korma

Ingredients

Veggies:

4 cups chopped vegetables (peas, green beans, green bell pepper, carrots, broccoli)
2 cups potato, chopped into 1 inch cubes
Curry:

2 tablespoons Grassfed Organic Ghee
1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
2 onions, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 inch ginger, roughly chopped
1-2 thai bird chilies (or 1 serrano pepper)
1 large tomato
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
½ teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder
½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
½ teaspoon Garam Masala
¼ teaspoon Cardamom Powder (freshly ground is best)
½ cup Cashews
1 ½ cup water

Finishing Touches:

1 tablespoon Grassfed Organic Ghee
¼ cup Golden Raisins
¼ cup Cashews
½ cup coconut cream, from the top of a can of refrigerated Coconut Milk
pinch of Fenugreek Leaves
Optional: chopped cashews and cilantro for garnish