Brussels Sprout Gratin

Johnny West

I just took this out of the oven. It was a bit of work but sure smells good. :thumb:

Attachments

• #####Brussels Sprouts Gratin.jpg
    #####Brussels Sprouts Gratin.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 127

Johnny West

Here is the recipe....

https://www.kqed.org/bayareabites/1...in-and-bacon-gratin-with-shallots-and-gruyere

Creamy Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Gratin
Ingredients:

• 2 lbs small, tender Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 4 oz thick sliced bacon, chopped
  • 3 large shallots, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 packed cup shredded Gruyere cheese (about 6 oz)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions

• Preheat the oven to 400F.
    • Bring a large saucepan half filled with salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Blanch the sprouts until just tender, 3 to 7 minutes (depends on the freshness and size of the sprouts). Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
    • In a large heatproof frying pan over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels and add the shallots. Fry until tender, stirring, about 5 minutes.
    • Drain off all but 2 tbsp fat and add the bacon and butter to the pan (if you don’t have 2 tbsp bacon fat, use 2 tbsp butter).
o Sprinkle the flour over the butter and cook, stirring with a whisk, until smooth. Slowly add the chicken broth, then the milk, while whisking, until thickened and smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
o Add the Brussels sprouts to the sauce and stir to combine. Spread into an even later. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
o Bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes. (If you like, pop it under the broiler to brown the top a bit more.) Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will definitely make half of this recipe, in a cast iron skillet.

Looks and sounds amazing!

Lee

Johnny West

I bought a fresh stalk of brussels sprouts and used most of them in this dish. I drained in a colander after blanching and dried them as much as I could with a terry cloth tea towel to get as much water out as I could. The bacon, onions, and one chopped clove of garlic I sautéed in a cast iron chicken frier, added the sauce ingredients, then poured over the sprouts in the baking dish. I only had five ounces of gruyere so added three slice of swiss cheese.

Johnny West

I told the gal at Sterino's about this recipe when I bought my sprout tree and stopped by today to tell them how good the sprouts were - she made it on my say so and said her's were gone, gone, gone, as well.

I'll buy more sprout s next week. They are selling the trees for 2 for $4. I'll blanch some for freezing.