Hungarian Goulas Soup

Johnny West

I'll pst the recipe tomorrow.

I made this for my church soup kitchen and it was a hit. Usually it comes out more like a stew but I added more water and good bullion to thin it down for soup.

Attachments

• ###Goulas.jpg
    ###Goulas.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 178

Johnny West

Re: Hungarian Gulyas Soup

Bogracs Gulyas

1.5 pounds beef
2 oz lard (I use olive oil.)
7 oz onions
1 clove garlic
1 tsp paprika
pinch of caraway seed
pinch of marjoram
1 tsp salt
2 pounds potatoes (I leave the jackets on.)
5 oz green pepper
5 oz tomatoes
2 oz flour
1 egg

Cut the beef into small cubes, and place a saucepan; add lard, finally hoped onions, garlic, paprika, caraway seed, marjoram, and salt; stir well, add a little water, cover, and let simmer, stirring it from time to time, and adding more water, if needed, to prevent burning. When the gulyas is half cooked add the sliced green pepper, tomatoes, and diced potatoes, and pour in sufficient water to cover it. Simmer till tender.

Before serving, knead 6 oz flour and egg into a stiff paste, tear with fingers into small squares - cispetke - and cook in slated boiling water. Strain and add to gulyas.

With all this said, I add water with beef bouillon, cans of chopped tomatoes, and tomato sauce to make soup. In the soup I made for yesterday used 5 pounds of sirloin steak, 6 green, yellow, red, and orange peppers, 5 onions, and 6 chopped up carrots. I also used two tablespoons of caraway seed, two table spoons of marjoram, 4 teaspoons of chopped garlic, and 6 teaspoons of paprika. It was a hearty soup for folks living on the streets of Puyallup. They did like it and got many thanks.