Ground Turkey

Tally23

I have a little over a pound of ground turkey. I have no clue what to do with it or what will taste good. Looking for something in the crockpot, grill or otherwise easy. Any Ideas?

Lefty

Yank
Lowfat Turkey Stroganoff Bon Appétit | May 1990
by Kristin H.R. Small: Americus, Georgia

A mixture of cottage cheese, lowfat yogurt and lemon juice replaces the sour cream in the traditional version of this dish. Ground turkey makes an especially good choice for those watching their cholesterol intake.
Yield: Serves 4

pf_ingredients_lbl.gif
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped

2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/3 cup dry white wine
Dash of nutmeg
Salt and pepper

1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
8 ounces fettuccine, freshly cooked
Paprika

pf_preparation_lbl.gif
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add turkey and onion and cook until turkey is brown, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Mix in mushrooms, wine and nutmeg. Season turkey with salt and pepper. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
Puree cottage cheese, yogurt and lemon juice in blender or processor until smooth. Add to turkey and stir until heated through (do not boil). Place fettuccine on platter. Pour turkey over. Sprinkle with paprika.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds good Lefty. Good suggestion. :thumb: :D

loboloco

"Down home" where I come from we cook a turkey for thanksgiving only if we can't catch the pig. Any other use is anathema.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If you have a pkg of taco seasoning, you could make a turkey taco salad (not crockpot or grill, but easy). Ground turkey would also be good in a tortilla soup.

You could make Moink balls using turkey meatballs (Toink Balls ;-)), & serve them on Hawaiian rolls like sliders. This recipe is basted w/ grape jelly & BBQ sauce:

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/bbq-addicts-moink-balls-recipe

Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
Add an egg, bread crumbs, seasonings of choice, worcestershire, hot sauce or bbq sauce, diced red onions & chopped green bell peppers. Top the burger(s) w/ bacon & grilled pineapple.

Turkey Ragout
Serve over gnocci, rigatoni, pappardelle or polenta.

http://www.sugarlaws.com/turkey-ragout-with-rigatoni

buckytom

Grill Master
we make meatballs (for tomato sauce and pasta) out of ground turkey fairly often, and they always come out good. i've brought some into work and even a few of the mama-lovin' italian guys couldn't immediately tell that they weren't the standard beef/pork/veal mix. one guy had first guessed they were just made of more veal than the other two meats.

for a pound + of ground gobbler, add 2 jumbo or 3 large egg whites (the yolks make it too heavy), about a cup and a half to 2 cups of seasoned breadcrumbs, a cup and a half of freshly grated locatelli (or 2 cups grated parmesan) cheese, 2 cups of dried parsley, a tbsp of dried oregano, and a half cup of milk.

mix together by hand until incorporated, and adjust so that it's sticky but not too gooey by adding more breadcrumbs if too wet, or more milk if too dry. it should stick to your fingers and the bowl a bit, but not be difficult to roll into balls because it's too loose.

scoop out enough to roll into balls larger than golf balls but smaller than baseballs. brown on all sides in evoo over medium heat, then plop into a crockpot of waiting bubbling sauce, set on high. let simmer for an hour or so.

they're ready to eat after an hour, but are better the next day after they've had time to breathe in the sauce.

hth. :chef:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Veggie Pasta Salad with Ground Turkey

1 pkg. veggie pasta, cooked accordng to pkg. directions and drained.
1 to 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey, browned in skillet.
1 can black olives, drained, pitted and sliced.
1 can mushrooms, stems and pieces, diced.
6 boiled eggs, peeled and diced.
1 small to medium white onion, diced.
Mrs Dash, to your taste.
Mayo, to your liking.

Mix all ingredients and chill before serving.

abi_csi

Make turkey chilli with beans and tomatoes and peppers/capsicum and onion and chilli.
Fry it all of with garlic and serve with rice.
Healthy alternative to beef chilli.

buckytom

Grill Master
nuttin' like poopin' all over a thread, phid. :glare: :horsepoop-1:

i made a ground turkey meatloaf the other day that was so good we actually ate it a second night as leftovers. most leftovers are my lunches or go to our outdoor cats (they're feral but they're fixed and live under my canoe), but this worked out as 2 dinners, a rarity for us. this stretched a package of ground turkey into essentially six servings, and incorporated veggies to get my son to eat more of them.

to a pound and a third of 93/7 ground turkey, i added 2 eggs, some whole wheat cracker meal, dried parsley, hot pepper flakes, tomato sauce, toasted minced garlic, browned diced onions, diced fennel stalks, and a diced cubanelle pepper.

i formed it into a loaf, covered it with more tomato sauce, and baked it in a glass dish at 375 for 45 minutes.

:chef:

Phiddlechik

Some people might find that they enjoy ground turkey, I enjoy turkey. But to come out and say that it's healthier, period, is just not so.
.... just thought I'd speak my mind like others seem to do around here.

That said... one can use ground turkey for anything that calls for ground meat.

Tally, what did you wind up making w/ the ground turkey?

The prob for me w/ ground turkey is it is pretty bland. You need to punch up the flavor. I've tried the spinach/parm turkey meatballs over noodles, but they were still bland.

A few more ideas... turkey-stuffed bell peppers. You can make them in a CP.

I would stuff the meatballs to give them more flavor, i.e. lay out about a half slice of prosciutto, top it w/ basil or spinach, add a cube of cheese (mozzarella etc), or half of a sliced hard boiled egg, & roll it up. Mold your meatball mixture around the rolled prosciutto & bake. Serve w/ marinara sauce.

Noticed The Biggest Loser keeps advertising Jenny-O (ground) turkey. Guess it is leaner, but you have to pack it w/ flavor, IMHO.

Speaking of turkey ;-), this year I want to stuff the breast w/ spinach, prosciutto, parmesan & pine nuts:

Spinach & Prosciutto Stuffed Turkey Breast

http://www.italianfoodforever.com/i...uffedturkeybreast&catid=58:cpoultry&Itemid=65

abi_csi

I've been looking at this again because we have loads of turkey leftovers from the holidays. I was think turkey can be used instead of minced beef or lamb for a number of dishes - lasagne, spaghetti, stir fry - the list is endless.
I've been searching for loads of leftover recipe's this morning and have found some great ones to use up the meat, veg and cheese I have left over - I'm quite excited!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've made this one a couple of times with ground turkey.

Also great. The second time I made it, I put the salad on the side, but the flavors do compliment the burger and sauce nicely.

Danish Burgers with Caper Sauce and Salad

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ce-and-a-mod-salad-recipe/reviews/page-5.html

Lee

It's been awhile, but I had a hankering for these really good Danish Burgers with diced Havarti dill cheese and a dill/caper/sour cream sauce.

Cooked in my Copper Chef pan, with the salad on the side this time.

Lee

Attachments

• Danish Turkey Burgers in Copper Pan.JPG
    Danish Turkey Burgers in Copper Pan.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Danish Burgers and sauce, plated.JPG
    Danish Burgers and sauce, plated.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 210

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have a little over a pound of ground turkey. I have no clue what to do with it or what will taste good. Looking for something in the crockpot, grill or otherwise easy. Any Ideas?

It CAN be used in place of ground beef in meat loaf, meat balls and anything that normally calls for ground beef, up to & including burgers. :readytoeat::bbq3: