smartphone-GPS holder

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
once upon a trip I was using my cell phone as a (rental car) GPS.
balancing it on my lap, falling down, etc.
ran across this -
holder.jpg
$10 or so
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P1GHNBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

clips onto the instrument cluster hood - good grip - super handy!
light, small, easy to pack.

I actually like it better than the OEM center console style GPS layout in my own car.
more like a "heads up" kind of display - it really shines in traffic / congestion / confusion when you don't really want to take your eyes off the idiot drivers around you....

it's in the 'things that work' column.....

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
My bad, his is more like a suction held on the windshield type.
Piccie of it on his recent trip to Texas after tropical storm Irma.
Whole different set up.
20190926_165616-540x765.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the idea is the same - put the display where you can see it without abandoning the "just drive" bit....
had a suction cup thingie for the phone pre-Bluetooth hands free. plug in mic/ear piece. the ear piece worked well - in most cases better than the built in car mics.
but the suction cup holder was a royal pain. it would fall off, the angle of the windshield forced the location, etc.... I think the suction cup success is a lot more dependent on the geometry of the windshield tho.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Why do you have to see the phone when using GPS? I just lay mine down where the ashtray used to be and listen to it talking.

GPS has changed my life. I never knew how to get ANYWHERE.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
frequently the display shows which lane you should be in, for example - or shows which 'path' to follow in convoluted intersections, etc.
even on longer stretches mine shows a left/right arrow and distance to turn - could be xx miles - or "500 feet"

in congested areas it helps, people are always so kind and always let you in....

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I put the MapFactor app on my phone after I got lost outside of Pittsburgh last year.
Before that, if I've needed directions in a snap, I'd call one of my sons...
I'm at_______... now what?
:tongue: