Tip to remove sticky residue from a non-stick pan...

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
How to Clean Residue on Nonstick Pans

By Heloise

qa_Q_57x68.gif
My nonstick pan has accumulated a black substance on the bottom, inside. I was told there is something in cooking spray that does this.
-- PH

qa_A_57x55.gif
Yup, it's usually a buildup of no-stick spray. Many sprays have lecithin in them, and when you spray them on a hot pan, it "sticks" like glue. Here is the hint to getting those nonstick pans clean. Fill a pan with water (about 1 inch from the top) and add 1 tablespoon of powdered dishwasher detergent. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.CAUTION: Do not let this boil dry, and turn the exhaust fan on to remove any fumes. Let the mixture cool, then clean with a nonabrasive scrubby or brush.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/heloise/kitchen/nonstick-pan-cleaning-oct01

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is an excellent tip, Robsan! I discovered that the olive-oil cooking spray causes the worst build-up and is the hardest to remove.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome!!!

I’m trying this as soon as I get home tonight!!! Thank you! I'd Karma you for this, but I'm out! CARP!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
It's no problem. I try to take care of my non-stick pans, but I've never encountered this residue problem. Now I know what to do!

S.Shepherd

it does make one wonder....how could something stick to a non-stick pan?

or

show strong does a glue have to be to make a non stick coating stick?

just something I've been wondering about

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It's no problem. I try to take care of my non-stick pans, but I've never encountered this residue problem. Now I know what to do!

Are you using Teflon coated pans, or anodized pans? The anodized pans shouldn't have this problem. I'm pretty sure it's only a reaction between the lecithin in non-stick sprays and something in Teflon.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, well I tried this tonight. My little Teflon egg pan was OLD, probably about 6+ years. Lot’s of build up. I don’t have a dishwasher, so no dishwashing powder. Instead I used clothes detergent.

It DOES seem to work. But, my pan was really cheap (a $9 Wal-Mart thing), and it had years of build up. I ended up “cooking” this cleaning mixture 3 times, for 15-20 minutes each time. I also doubled the amount of cleanser to 2 tbsp.

The water stars off white, and as it simmers, it turns brown like a gravy. The first 2 times, it was a dark brown and looked very much like a good gravy. The 3rd time, it was only light brown like dirty dish water. So I’m thinking the brown color was the burnt on lecithin?

The first time I did this, about half the build up came off. But remember, you do have to scrub this with a plastic or sponge scrubby! Takes a little elbow grease.

The second time, another 40% came up leaving very little.

The third time I did it, all but one small sliver came up……BUT the Teflon started coming up as well!

With the Teflon flaking, I decided to just toss the pan. It only cost $9, and I’ve had it for years, so this was a fitting end for it. Nice experiment. It gave it’s all right to the very end! :lol:

So, I say YES, this does work. But you can only go so far with it, and it can only handle so much buildup. My pan had years of build up, but perhaps if you’re quick and don’t let it get too far gone? It does work, but doing this too many times also removed the Teflon on my cheap little pan. Would that happen on a high dollar Teflon pan? I don’t know.

There you have it. Yeah, it works, but be careful how often you use this as it seems to also weaken the Teflon when used repeatedly.

And I ended up with dish-pan hands to boot! :yum:

Spent about an hour doing this. In the end, unless you paid high dollar for your Teflon pan, it’s probably just easier to buy a new one.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You used laundry detergent instead?
Did you Shout it Out, too?
:yum:

Valiant effort, K. May your pan RIP. :thumb:

Oh, I shouted alright!! :yum:

I figured it was all the same.....but maybe not? I'm not a Chemist...where is YT??????

Either way, the poor pan was at the road's end. It was time for something to happen. May she rest in peace. She took one for the team, and will be remembered! :lol:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Are you using Teflon coated pans, or anodized pans? The anodized pans shouldn't have this problem. I'm pretty sure it's only a reaction between the lecithin in non-stick sprays and something in Teflon.

I have pans that are hard anodized outside with DuPont Autograph 2 inside. The most information that I could get is that Autograph 2 is the latest souped up Teflon.

Glad to hear that the tip worked, but sorry about your pan...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I have pans that are hard anodized outside with DuPont Autograph 2 inside. The most information that I could get is that Autograph 2 is the latest souped up Teflon.

Glad to hear that the tip worked, but sorry about your pan...

Not your fault! Your tip actually works!

I could hear Scotty screaming "Capt'in, yur pushin' 'er too hard! She's gonna blow!"

But I kept going.

She blew.

Poor girl. My fault, but she will be remembered! :lol:

Sounds like your pans probably won't have this problem (with the non-stick spray)?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have found that Dawn liquid dish soap takes grease/oil off of anything even waterstone that might get oil on them.