What else can I plant now?

suziquzie

I'm about 5 weeks from last frost.
FINALLY!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Today I'm going to plant my spinach and peas..... but I can't remember what else can go in now.

Got ideas?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You are planting in Minnesota all ready, boy I will hold off till the last week in April here. Our weather goes from nice to terrible at the blink of an eye lately. Hopefully next week end we will be able to get some of the plants for the flower pots in the front of the property but we still are having some night dropping below freezing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooooo, RADISHES, Suzi! My favorite variety is French Breakfast!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i've had some success with a few early spring gardens. swiss chard "neon lights" is really cool.

purple top white globe turnips, detroit dark red beets, heirloom beets, danvers half long carrots, mesculun mixes, cos cob romaine, broccoli rabe, snow peas, and asparagus have all done well in my garden in the earliest season.

if you do nothing else, plant asaparagus crowns for next years harvest, if you have to room. fresh asparagus, picked, steamed and cooked within a few minutes cannot be compared to anything else. it's the taste of green; the taste of springtime.

Mr. Green Jeans

Suzi, any of the Brassicas: broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kolhrabi all are light frost - cold weather tolerant. The challenge may be in finding a gargen center that has the plants this early.

Deelady

We are planting our front garden this week and in the middle of planning our back yard.....I dont think I'm brave enough yet to attempt veggies!! I'll stick with herbs and flowers and see what I can keep alive this year!! ;)

Good luck with your planting!!

Mr. Green Jeans

Dee, the new buzzword YARDEN. Really, plants grow themselves it is the follow through that is important. Also, Ohio State has one of the best extension web sites in the country. If you are contemplating weter or not to plant something, give it a look-see.

buckytom

Grill Master
squzie, asparagus is sold as a crown, or a dormant root system that you plant about a foot down, well spaced, well drained but rich soil.

it's unlike planting seeds or seedlings. but if you get lucky and it grows, the rewards are fantastic.