What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

LOL, I made a coffee cake yesterday too... Mine is a yeast raised cake that comes out quite flakey and crunchy, gooey inside :)

Attachments

• P1050117.JPG
    P1050117.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 156
  • P1050119.JPG
    P1050119.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 155

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Mmmm MMMMM!!

What does the "goo" consist of, Un? Looks fantastic!

Lee

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

I guess this qualifies as baking... I made pirogen today. I make a dough with about a 70% hydration, 2% salt, except that I use the water to reconstitute some dehydrated onions first. I think I used about 50 grams of onions. When they were rehydrated, I made the dough and let it sit for a couple hours. I then scaled to 2.5 oz balls. I let the balls rest about 20 minutes, then a first round of flattening. Waited 20 and another round of flattening. The filling was short rib meat that I first cooked till very tender, reserving all the liquid and fat. I let the fat congeal and then used it to saute onions till they started caramelize. I then added minced mushrooms and cooked untill moisture from the mushrooms was gone. I minced and shredded the meat as the mushrooms cooked. When the mushrooms were done, I mixed them with the meat, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste (I go heavy on the black pepper). I then put 90 gram portions of the meat onto a piece of dough and closed it up. Let the pirogen rise a half hour and then brushed with an egg wash and sprinkled with caraway seed and maldon salt. Baked at 400F for about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• P1050126.JPG
    P1050126.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 150
  • P1050127.JPG
    P1050127.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 153
  • P1050128.JPG
    P1050128.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 148
  • P1050140.JPG
    P1050140.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 152
  • P1050146.JPG
    P1050146.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 149

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Mmmm MMMMM!!

What does the "goo" consist of, Un? Looks fantastic!

Lee

It's egg whites whipped with confectioner's sugar, that is spread on the dough before it is rolled up, and then "dollops" of brown sugar :)

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Working on some mandel bread for Passover. I make the dough/batter tonight and let it chill overnight so the butter sets and they're easier to bake. I'll try to remember to post some pics tomorrow. Recipe is HERE

SilverSage

Resident Crone

I made something we call Hanky Panky Pudding with Hanky Panky Sauce.

It's a long story, but it's named after my friend, Hank. It's a very custardy bread pudding with a layer of caramelized apples on top, served with a warm Calvados sauce.

Attachments

• hanky panky pudding.jpg
    hanky panky pudding.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 140

Deelady

Everything looks fantastic!
Wow Suzi, bread looks great! And I believe I gained 5 lbs just looking at everything else! YUM!

Unconundrum...my husband would flip over those pirogens!!

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Did everyone stop baking ????

I made these today out of Hamelman's Bread book. It's called "Rustic Bread," with whole wheat and rye.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter

My pics won't take here any more.

Last edited:

Lefty

Yank

My pics wo9n't take here any more.

Please explain the problem you are having. If it is a website problem we want to make sure it gets fixxed. If it is a user problem one of us can try and help you through it.

Regards

Shermie

Site Supporter

My pics keep on being denied uploads because the forum says that they are too large (over 800).

But I don't know how to make them smaller.

I used to be able to post pics before, but now I can't.

Lefty

Yank

If you post a large picture, the website will try and resize it to an acceptable size for display. If the picture is on the large size and you are trying to do a few pictures at a time, the site may timeout and give an error because of the extended time to do so much processing.

I use the following imaging software (free and very well rated in the computer community) to manage my pictures. It has a resize function built in and is very easy to use. If you size the pictures to 600x800 before you try and upload you should not have any problems. The software has standard sizes you can pick to resize to and it keep the image perspective.

Here is a little info from their site.

What is IrfanView?​

IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7.

It is trying to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals.

IrfanView is trying to create new and/or interesting features in its own way, unlike some other graphic viewers, whose whole "creativity" is based on feature cloning, stealing of ideas and whole dialogs from ACDSee and/or IrfanView! (for example: XnView has been stealing/cloning features and whole dialogs from IrfanView, for 10+ years).

IrfanView was the first Windows graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple (animated) GIF support.
One of the first graphic viewers WORLDWIDE with Multipage TIF support.
The first graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple ICO support.

http://www.irfanview.com/

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Made some Sweet Potato rolls this weekend. I experimented a bit with the recipe and found that I really like them with currants, but I keep forgetting to add them till I'm folding the dough. Makes for an uneven distribution. This pic was taken before I thought of adding currants. Full recipe with pictures is available HERE

677-sweet-potato-rolls.png

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Wow! You are the kind of baker I aspire to be, Un!!!

Beautiful stuff!!!!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Joe, please adopt me.

Do you ever make French toast with that cinnamon swirl bread?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Joe, please adopt me.

Do you ever make French toast with that cinnamon swirl bread?

Lee
No I have not, but this recipe lends itself to French toast because it already has 2 eggs in the dough. I'll have to try it.

I checked with DW, and she said no to the adoption, but you're welcome to dinner anytime. I told her you would even bring your smoker, but she wasn't buying it.:lol:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Okay!! I've never been to Ohio, and I'd love to go!

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Made some Sweet Potato rolls this weekend. I experimented a bit with the recipe and found that I really like them with currants, but I keep forgetting to add them till I'm folding the dough. Makes for an uneven distribution. This pic was taken before I thought of adding currants. Full recipe with pictures is available HERE

I went and read your recipe and I was surprised to read that you "cut" the spiral in the top of the roll! That's amazing. I always wondered how bakeries managed to make rolls that look like the ones you have pictured. Also, the recipe sounds grand and I will try it. Thanks for sharing it, Warren.

Shermie

Site Supporter

Dag UnConundrum and JoeV, those look good!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Beautiful Pie Joe! I'd love to see the inside!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Beautiful Pie Joe! I'd love to see the inside!
Ask & ye shall receive...

P1020682.jpg

P1020683.jpg

Everyone was pleased with how nice and flaky the crust was. I've finally learned to not overwork the dough.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

God, I think I'm going to lose consciousness..
Joe, you're such a show off LOL

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Joe, the pie looks incredible!

Would you make that recipe again?

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

:ohmy: If I only had that pie, some Caramel sauce and a big scoop of vanilla ice cream....

Status
Not open for further replies.