Franken-Pantry V

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry IV is done! A big thank you goes out to everyone that has joined in on the fun!

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16656

It‘s after midnight CST, so let’s move on to Franken-Pantry V.

The first order of business is to stock the Pantry with 10 ingredients. So each person should post an ingredient that goes into the Pantry. Once there are 10 ingredients, the Pantry is full, and cooking can commence.

And, we have a 5 item Spice Rack to fill.

The Rules

1. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are staples and considered stove-top items and are always available and need not be suggested. You are free to use those 4 items no matter what is in the Pantry.

2. You can only post one entry to the Pantry. Since we only have 10 slots in the Pantry, the most that could ever post in a Pantry is 10 people. By limiting everyone to only 1 post, it may take the Pantry longer to fill, but we will ensure that everyone that wants to participate gets a chance.

3. Spice Rack! There is now a 5 slot Spice Rack in the Pantry. Naturally, it has to be filled. As always, members are only allowed one post per Pantry - BUT, if the Spice Rack is not full, then you can also add something to it as well. For example: Bread - Cumin. That is a Pantry entry of Bread, and a Spice Rack entry of Cumin. The first 5 members to post a spice are counted - once we have 5 spices in the rack, the Spice Rack is full.

4. About the Spice Rack - Any “spice” is acceptable as long as it is a verified product, spice, or herb. For example: McCormick’s Italian Seasoning, or Seasoned Salt, or Creole Seasoning. Those are all blends, but they are also a singular and unified product. If you mean for a blend to be included, please include Brand & Product name. While everyone may not be able to find that particular brand name, we may be able to find a store brand alternative - and that is acceptable as long as the mix is the same. Sorry - but if someone posts Italian Seasoning, then you have to use a jar of Italian Seasoning (labeled clearly on the product). You can’t deconstruct it and use fresh Basil, Oregano, and Thyme. You have to use the BLEND spice that was posted. Hopefully, we’ll all post things that others can find, but, up until now, all we had was Salt & Pepper unless specifically posted, and we’ve done exceptionally well!

5. You can post items that were posted in previous Franken-Pantries.

6. Derivatives of an item can not be used, but can be made for use. For example, if wine is listed, you can’t just use “wine vinegar”. If cream is listed, you can’t just use butter, but you can MAKE butter or vinegar if you like.

7. Once 10 items have been posted, the Pantry will be locked and recipes can be made using as many or as few of the items from the 10 in the Pantry. But, other than the 4 staples (Salt, Pepper, Water, & Oil), you can ONLY use items in the Pantry. So if flour isn't listed, then you can't use it. Same goes for spices, if Cumin or Thyme aren’t listed, then you can't use them.

8. This mysterious Pantry has a walk-in cooler, so perishables like beef, chicken, crab, fish, milk, eggs, cream, butter, etc, can be posted.

9. Entries can be “open” or “restricted”. If you post “openly” such as beef, pork, chicken, fish, shellfish, etc, all cuts are assumed available. Open entries are something of an Iron Chef category, so if multiple versions of an item exist, they will be in the Pantry. Alternatively, you CAN post restrictively such as “crab” or “steak”, but the Pantry would be more accessible if you instead posted openly such as “crustacean” or “beef” - something to think about and it’s ultimately up to you.

10. Each “open” Pantry entry is something of a category unto itself. For example, if onion is posted, then any onion will be available: red, yellow, Vidalia, Spanish, pearl, shallot, scallion, etc. Imagine the pantry as an Iron Chef type room. In the spot where potatoes (open entry) are stored, all potatoes are there, Idaho, Russet, Red, Fingerling, Dried Potato Flakes, etc. But NOT sweet potatoes as that is a different animal (in a savory sense).

11, If you mean for an item to be restrictive, then please make note of that such as “Idaho Potato (restricted)” or “Chuck Roast (restricted)”. In doing that, the entry is limited to only Idaho Potatoes and no other kind of potato, and only Chuck Roast will be available, but no other cut of beef. If you don’t specifically list “restricted” in your entry, then the entry will be assumed open if multiple variations are available.

12. There's really no time limit for cooking from a Franken-Pantry. If you get around to making something, then post what you did. A month from now, someone may bump into this thread and want to cook from this pantry, so go ahead.

13. Cooking method is entirely up to you. Grill it, bake it, steam it, boil it, microwave it, serve it raw, etc.

14. Each Franken-Pantry is a stand alone Pantry. You can revisit any previous thread and cook something in THAT Pantry, but you can not bring items from one Pantry to another.

15. It's just for fun! That is the reason each open entry includes all variations of the entry such as “potato” means all potatoes, and “beef” means all cuts of beef. While Franken-Pantry is restrictive to 10 ingredients, it still strives to be approachable while also challenging you to put your thinking cap on.

So, start posting the ingredients you want or need in this Franken-Pantry. Don’t forget that if the Spice Rack is open, you can add a spice to it!! I’ll start off, but I will not post a spice. The Spice Rack is fully open with 5 slots.

Please note that the addition of the spice rack does not nullify the staples. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are always available no matter what is in the Pantry or Spice Rack.

Franken-Pantry IV

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Pork

---- Spice Rack ----

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
---- Pantry ----

1. Pork
2. Onions

---- Spice Rack ----

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Franken-Pantry IV

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
6. Jalapeno peppers

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
6. Jalapeno peppers
7. Flour

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme

mhend

Pantry: Sugar
Spice: Nutmeg

Hopefully I will have time to actually participate. Things are really crazy here at the moment. The ingredients so far are looking really good!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok everybody, we're almost there! All we need is to have three people step up and post! We need 1 spice and 3 ingredients and then we can start cooking! Come on everyone, don't be shy! Let's fill this Pantry!! :clap:

You aren't required to cook anything if you post an ingredien. No obligation here.

Just think about something you think would be good and very useful in the Pantry and post it! We need you!

I'll make you a deal, if you fill the Pantry today, I'll cook from it tonight! Some come on everyone, let's do this!! :thumb:

Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
6. Jalapeno peppers
7. Flour

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think we only need 2

Pantry: Sugar
Spice: Nutmeg

Hopefully I will have time to actually participate. Things are really crazy here at the moment. The ingredients so far are looking really good!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, good eye! I missed that. So the Spice Rack is closed. Now, just two more ingredients!! :clap:

Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
6. Jalapeno peppers
7. Flour
8. Sugar

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme
5. Nutmeg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
So close....SO CLOSE!!!!

Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----
1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
6. Jalapeno peppers
7. Flour
8. Sugar
9. Lentils

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme
5. Nutmeg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Lethal GTS - Did you mean Jalapeno Peppers ONLY, or any hot pepper (Cayenne, Chipotle, Serrano, Habanero, etc)?

Luvs - did you mean Lentils ONLY or any legume?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----
1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
6. Jalapeno peppers
7. Flour
8. Sugar
9. Lentils (Restricted)

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme
5. Nutmeg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys!

Ok......only one more ingredient to go!!

Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----
1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
6. Hot Peppers (Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero, etc)
7. Flour
8. Sugar
9. Lentils (Restricted)

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme
5. Nutmeg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, time to spin the wheel. I’ll use the Random Number Generator to finish this.

http://www.random.org/

With DW’s help, here is the pot I’ll spin from:

1. Potatoes
2. Rice
3. Bread
4. Egg
5. Cream
6. Beans
7. Beef
8. Chicken
9. Fish
10. Crustacean
11. Tomatoes
12. Corn Meal
13. Wine

Random Number Generator says:

2. Rice

And there we are, the Pantry is filled and closed. Let’s get cooking.

This may be the last Franken-Pantry since interest seems to be waning. So cook ‘em in if ya' got ’em! :clap:

Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----
1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
7. Flour
8. Sugar
9. Lentils (Restricted)
10. Rice

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme
5. Nutmeg

Attachments

• spin.JPG
    spin.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 259

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just so I don't cause confusion with the random spin pot, our Pantry is limited to this. Let's cook!! :thumb:

Franken-Pantry V

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----
1. Pork
2. Onions
3. Butter
4. Apples
5. Sauerkraut
7. Flour
8. Sugar
9. Lentils (Restricted)
10. Rice

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Chili powder
2. Cinnamon
3. Garlic powder
4. Thyme
5. Nutmeg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The pork chipotle stew I'm making smells wonderful as it is cooking. Stay tuned...

That sounds incredible, can't wait to see it!! :clap:

I'm working on a rendition of one of DeeLady's recipes as well as a breakfast dish I'll cook tonight and eat tomorrow on the way in. So two things to come soon! FP5 is looking promising! :thumb:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
When I started to consider this week's Franken Pantry, I did a google search with pork, rice and lentils. I found a Chipotle Pork Stew, but it had ingredients I couldn't use, like beer and potatoes and tomatoes, that weren't in the pantry. So, I improvised, and this was the best Franken Pantry meal I've made. Jerry and I agree that it was seriously delicious!

I took one pork tenderloin (pretty large, a little over a pound), trimmed the membrane and cut it into chunks. I mixed a cup of flour with a quarter cup of chile powder and some salt. Dredged the meat well and browned in two batches, in a mix of butter and EVOO. I let it get good and brown. Then I added a little more butter to the pan and half of a chopped large onion. I let the onion sweat a bit and deglazed the pan with...water. Then I added three plump chipotles, smashed them up and added back the pork cubes. I let that simmer for about an hour, and served it over a mixture of white rice (cooked in water, salt and a little butter) and lentils, that I cooked separately. I combined them when done, with a little more butter and spooned this delicious tender pork and lovely brown gravy over the top. It might have been better if I'd used broth instead of water, and maybe added some other vegetables, but we loved it just like it was - a hint of smoky chipotle and the nice textural mix of rice and lentils. Yum yum. Thanks to Franken Pantry, Keltin - I never would have discovered this otherwise, and it will become part of the regular rotation here.

Attachments

• food 038.jpg
    food 038.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 144

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here I offer Fried Pork Biscuits for breakfast.

I took sirloin pork chops, pounded them thin, double battered them with flour and water, then fried till done.

Using Flour, Lard (oil), butter, and water, I made biscuits.

Put them together, and I have Pork Biscuits for breakfast tomorrow. I wrapped these in foil, and will heat them in the microwave in the morning. A cup of coffee and one of these, and I’m ready to go!

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 140
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 140
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 140
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg