Tuscan Grilled Pork Ribs

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As a long-time fan of low and slow barbecue, I was VERY skeptical about grilling great ribs on a gas grill in less than 20 minutes!

But, if Cook's Illustrated says it's so, it usually is.

Yesterday was a perfect Spring day, so we decided to try this rib recipe.

We followed the very simple recipe exactly, and DAY-UM! Those ribs turned out to be fantastic! Tender, juicy on the inside, and nice and crispy on the outside. We loved them and will definitely do them again - can even do them on a work night!

Lee

tuscan grilled ribs

Ingredients

Ribs
2 (2½- to 3-pound) racks St. Louis-style spareribs, trimmed, membrane removed, and each rack cut into 2-rib sections

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 teaspoon pepper

Vinaigrette
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Instructions
Serves 4 to 6
When portioning the meat into two-rib sections, start at the thicker end of the rack. If you are left with a three-rib piece at the tapered end, grill it as such. Take the temperature of the meat between the bones.
Total Time: 1¼ hours, plus 1 hour salting

1. For the ribs: Pat ribs dry with paper towels. Rub evenly on both sides with salt and place on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.

2. For the vinaigrette: Combine oil, garlic, and rosemary in small bowl and microwave until fragrant and just starting to bubble, about 30 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and set aside.
3A. For a charcoal grill: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (6 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour evenly over grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
3B. For a gas grill: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn all burners to medium-high.
4. Clean and oil cooking grate. Brush meat side of ribs with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Place ribs meat side down on grill. Cover and cook until meat side begins to develop spotty browning and light but defined grill marks, 4 to 6 minutes. Flip ribs and cook, covered, until second side is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes, moving ribs as needed to ensure even browning. Flip again and cook, covered, until meat side is deeply browned with slight charring and thick ends of ribs register 175 to 185 degrees, 4 to 6 minutes.
5. Transfer ribs to cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut ribs between bones and serve, passing vinaigrette separately.IMG_5051.JPGIMG_5053.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhhh, I was just with my friend and neighbor, Kathy, who always comes over to my house on Saturday nights for dinner and a scary movie. We were just wondering what to have this Saturday.

Just might be these, John! Nice, quick, delicious ribs on a quick March evening grill!

Lee