Wyatt's Cafeteria Eggplant Casserole

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Wyatt's was a popular, Texas based chain of cafeterias which are all closed now. This casserole was one of their popular items. I'm not much of an eggplant fan, but I loved this. Supposedly when they closed, they gave out the recipe, and it was printed in a lot of newspapers. It's all over the internet now.

Wyatt's Baked Eggplant
(serves 6)

1 lb. eggplant, peeled
1/2 lb. dry bread cubes
1/2 cup canned evaporated milk
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 T pimiento, chopped
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sage
1 1/2 cups (4 oz) cheddar cheese, grated

Cut peeled eggplant into 1-inch cubes and soak in salt water in refrigerator overnight (minimum 6 hours). Drain eggplant and place in pan. Cover with water and simmer until tender. Soak bread cubes in milk. Saute onions, bell pepper, and celery in butter until tender.

Combine cooked eggplant, bread cubes, and vegetables. Add eggs, pimiento, and seasonings. Mix thoroughly. Place in greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Top with grated cheese and return to oven until cheese melts.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
GREAT!! More eggplant recipes!!

I will be picking a ton of small eggplants before the hurricane hits this weekend, and I'm interested in trying this (provided I have power).

Now, I never have anything but soy milk in the house for my cereal, and I'd hate to buy whole milk and evaporated milk for those small amounts.

What do you think of the idea of my buying a 1/2 pint of heavy cream and using that, or a portion of that?

Also, I have 2 packages of Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing mix. I could use that instead of the sage and bread cubes.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks you two!

I got tired of throwing away milk, so now I buy half-n-half and use that to cook with as a milk sub (with some water added). You can buy the small cans of evaporated milk, which is just a tad more than 1/2 cup. I think the PF stuffing would work just fine.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I made this tonight with some edits. Since I had 2 pounds of miniature eggplants from my garden (Hansel variety), I doubled the recipe. My eggplants aren't bitter at all, so I just peeled them and chunked them, no salting or soaking.

It was good, but I must say that I LOVED it in the stage just before I added the eggs!! In other words, the steamed eggplant, the vegs sauteed in butter, the pimento, all tossed with the moistened seasoned bread crumbs!

Next time, I will just make it to that stage - no eggs, no baking, no cheese. Man, was THAT excellent!

Thanks for the idea, Cooksie!

Lee

Wyatt's Baked Eggplant, Lee's way
(serves 12)

2 lbs. fresh miniature eggplants, peeled
1 14 oz. package seasoned stuffing bread cubes
8 oz heavy cream
1/2 cup water
1 stick butter, melted
1/2cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 whole pimiento, chopped (I got this at the supermarket salad bar)
1/2 bag of grated cheese (I used a Mexican blend)

Cut peeled eggplant into chunks. Steam 10 minutes till tender.

Add 1/2 cup water to the heavy cream and soak bread cubes in milk. Saute onions, bell pepper, and celery in butter until tender.

Combine cooked eggplant, bread cubes, and vegetables. (I AM GOING TO STOP HERE, NEXT TIME I MAKE THIS!) It's the third picture below.

Add eggs and pimiento. Mix thoroughly. Place in greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Top with grated cheese and return to oven until cheese melts.

Attachments

• Hansel eggplant 1.JPG
    Hansel eggplant 1.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,811
  • Hansel eggplant 2, steamer basket.JPG
    Hansel eggplant 2, steamer basket.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,404
  • Eggplant stuffing mix.JPG
    Eggplant stuffing mix.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 2,522
  • Eggplant mix with egg.JPG
    Eggplant mix with egg.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 3,031
  • Eggplant casserole with cheese.JPG
    Eggplant casserole with cheese.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 2,647
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 2,521

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

I would stop at the stage of picture 3, which is just eggplant stuffing, and use it to stuff poulty, or put it into the baking dish, without the eggs, and place chicken pieces on top of it and bake it that way.

Yeah, that's a better idea!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this again, without the cheese and baking. I really should call it something different.

I used 1% milk to soak the stuffing bread crumbs in. Had my own Ichiban eggplants, celery, and Shishito peppers from my garden. Got a tiny container of pimentos at the supermarket salad bar.

This is excellent! Love it with chicken!

Lee

Attachments

• Eggplants 1.JPG
    Eggplants 1.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,191
  • Eggplants 2.JPG
    Eggplants 2.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,296
  • Eggplants 3.JPG
    Eggplants 3.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,240
  • Eggplants 4.JPG
    Eggplants 4.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,345

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looking at the original recipe, with the "Trinity", it may have some Cajun/Creole roots.

Oooo, good thought, DB! I'm going to make this again when my father comes to visit in a week and I'll season it with a bit of Tony Cachere's!

Perfect!

Lee