My Best Chili EVER.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
From a friend on another forum, re-posted with permission

Thanks to mini17!

This really sounds great, especially the way the beer is blended into the recipe! :yum:

Jim

Ingredients:

1-1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 sm-med onion
1/2 lb bacon
2-3 lg cloves of garlic
1 can strained & rinsed light red kidney beans*
1 can strained & rinsed pinto beans*
2 tbsp spicy or stone ground mustard
1 16oz can crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 bottles/cans of Guinness Stout or Extra Stout
Add the following spices to your taste:
Chili powder, salt, black pepper, hot paprika, cumin, cayanne pepper.
Don't be afraid to add some jalepenos or other hot pepper too if you like it more spicy...one of the guys at my FD grows his own & brings them for me to put in it when I cook for them.

*These are my beans of choice, but use whatever 2 types of beans you like.

Open Guinness #1 & drink. In a gallon freezer bag, put the ground meat and pour in other Guinness. Remove air, seal bag, set aside.
Cut bacon into 1" pieces & cook in large pot. While bacon is cooking, chop onions & garlic. Remove bacon from grease & add onions & garlic to pot. Cook until onions are soft.
Remove meat from bag & place in pot to brown. when meat is cooked about half way, add spices and mustard.
Once meat is cooked through, add beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste.
Depending on your desired consistancy of the chili, if you like it more soupy, at this time, add a little extra Guinness.
Place lid on the pot off-set so that the heat stays in, but the steam is let out. you don't want the condensation to build up, but you don't want the chili to dry out. Simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours on med-lo, stirring every 15 minutes.

I serve my chili in a bowl with shredded sharp cheddar sprinkled on top, a dollop of sour cream, and crackers to dip.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks like a great recipe, Jim! I have some dark beer to get rid of, too!

Haven't made chili in awhile, so I'm putting this on my list of things to make!

Thanks!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It does indeed sound good. Whoever makes it first please post here with your thoughts on whether this was the best chili YOU ever made. :thumb:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
That looks like a great recipe, Jim! I have some dark beer to get rid of, too!

Haven't made chili in awhile, so I'm putting this on my list of things to make!

Thanks!

Lee

How much beer do you need to get rid of? I can come over this weekend and help. :whistling:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL!

Well, Jim, I have 4 bottles, but if you are coming over, I'll go out to get more!

Lee

Johnny West

I put lager in with the chili meat, a recipe from the late Merle Ellis's chili cookbook.

I could use a chili recipe for about 40 people. I have to cook for the church
soup kitchen in a few weeks. I won't use beer though as some of these folks
are alcohol restricted.

Johnny West

Tonight we had a church chili cookout. I won two firsts! One for best presentation and one for best chili. The mrs' cornmeal muffins helped with the presentation. Out of 12 chili's mine was the only one that actually tasted like chili. I won a bag of Starbucks, a $15 Starbucks gift certificate, and a nice package of porcelain Christmas tree ornaments. I'll get a traveling trophy, as well.

My chili was a Texas style chili, all beef, no beans - I tamed it down a bit as I knew from past experience these folks like mild chili. I made medium. There was about 8 pounds of beef, one onion (not enough) one jar of tomatoes, 3 beers, 2 cups beef broth, garlic, onion powder, 3 different chili powders, salt, white pepper, and two cans of tomato paste.

Attachments

• #Chili III.jpg
    #Chili III.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 196

Johnny West

I finally got around to making more chili. I used my home canned tomatoes and some beef shank meat from WinCo that I simmered in beer most of the day.

Attachments

• #Chili 2017.jpg
    #Chili 2017.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 184

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like the looks of your second photo better, John, since I'm a fan of chili with beans. And the idea of using beef shanks is making my mouth water!

However, belated congratulations on your chili win last month! I missed seeing this first time around.

I'm going to print out the recipe that Jim posted above. I THINK I have everything already in my larder to make it this frosty weekend.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Tonight we had a church chili cookout. I won two firsts! One for best presentation and one for best chili. The mrs' cornmeal muffins helped with the presentation. Out of 12 chili's mine was the only one that actually tasted like chili. I won a bag of Starbucks, a $15 Starbucks gift certificate, and a nice package of porcelain Christmas tree ornaments. I'll get a traveling trophy, as well.

My chili was a Texas style chili, all beef, no beans - I tamed it down a bit as I knew from past experience these folks like mild chili. I made medium. There was about 8 pounds of beef, one onion (not enough) one jar of tomatoes, 3 beers, 2 cups beef broth, garlic, onion powder, 3 different chili powders, salt, white pepper, and two cans of tomato paste.

What are you doing with my pot? I got one just like that one! Hah!! :WitchBrewsSmiley:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally got around to making Jim's recipe (after 6 years).

I had a can of dark kidney beans and a can of Roman beans, and followed the recipe as much as was written. Added my own quantities of chili powder blend, chipotle, ancho, cumin and salt.

Jim, you didn't say to add back the bacon, so I used it as a garnish.

Excellent, and I can't wait to have leftovers this week!

Lee

Attachments

• Jim's chili.JPG
    Jim's chili.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Jim's chili, plated.JPG
    Jim's chili, plated.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 176