Magic Cookie Bars.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a sweet treat that requires no beating, mixing or blending. in fact, you don't even need a mixing bowl! Hardly anything to wash! Let the kids help you do it! They will LOVE it to death!

Ingredients;
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter.
1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs.
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts.
1lb (16 ounces) chocolate morsels.
1lb (16 ounces) flaked or shredded coconut.
1 can sweetened condensed milk.

Directions;
Preheat oven to about 350 degrees.
Pour melted butter into a 9"x13" dark metal or glass pan.
Layer next five ingredients 1 by 1 in the order listed above.
Drizzle sweetened condensed milk over everything.
Place pan into preheated oven.
Baker for about 30 - 35 minutes, 40 tops, or until top is lightly browned.
Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into medium-size squares. Remove squares from pan and place on serving platter and watch the kids' eyes light up!

Enjoy!!

When done & cut into squares, they should look something like this. :eating2:

Attachments

• magic_cookie_bars.jpg
    magic_cookie_bars.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,077

Shermie

Site Supporter
Looks good and easy to do, I like it. I can do that. CF

This has been a favorite of mine for many, many, many years!

When I first made it, my four younger brothers tried it and liked it.

One of them whom we sadly lost, HIS kids liked it when THEY were little.

They are both all grown up now. His older son now has a family of his own - a wife and three children. I visited them this past summer and I wanted to make the cookie bars for them.

He still likes it, and now his children like it, especially the 2nd boy! He was just flabbergasted and blown away (excitingly)!! He just couldn't stop hugging me and thanking me enough!

He just wouldn't stop eating them! He even ate the last one that was in the fridge! He wants me to make some more when I come back to visit them!

It gave me great pleasure and happiness to be able to bring some cheer to my nephew and his family!! :eating2:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks look fantastic, Sherm!

Thanks for sharing the recipe and the story of your family tradition!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
You welcome!

This goes back to the early '70s. Guess that by now, that it HAS become a family tradition!!

A sister-in-law told me about it. I tried hers and wanted the recipe for it. She gave it to me.

I caught on to it & got blown away & turned on to it, and now, it has been passed all the way down to my great nephews and great niece!! They LOVE them!!

I even left stuff there for another batch, should my favorite great nephew (the middle child) choose to make them again. I'm sure that he has already!!

He helped me do the first one that I did there this past summer! He'll be climbing all over me to make some for him again when he comes up to visit me next summer, I'm pretty sure!!

He probably hasn't forgotten about them. I'll gladly make them again for him!! And I'm sure that he'll want to help!! :eating2:

Ian M.

Shermie - DW latched right onto this recipe - she's going to be taking a grundle of them over to my Dad's house on Christmas Eve for all the crumb crunchers present
But she won't make them this far in advance or my son and I would clean out the stash!!

Ian

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hah!!

Yeah, I think I know all about THAT one!

My great nephew did his best to put them out of their misery!! He goes hog wild for the kill when something sweet is in the house, especially THAT!!

He didn't become so big for his age for nothing!! I truly enjoy making him happy!! We both ate quite a few! He makes me feel so much like I'm HIS age all over again!!

Children have that effect on me!! I love cooking and baking for him! He likes doing it also!! :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Last week, I was at my nephew's house again - this time for Thanksgiving.

My grand nephew wanted to make some more Magic Cookie Bars. The k9id's mom had asked me to try it with the CARAMEL morsels this time.

After having a hard time finding them, I decided to go look in a Walmart store, and they had them! So on Thanksgiving Day, again, my grand nephew - the one who likes to cook of course (pictured below), made them again!

They came out tasting GOOD OR BETTER with the caramel morsels!! But of course, there was strong opposition from the rest of the family, Some still wanted the chocolate morsels. So I told them that the next time, we'll try them with half of each one side.

Attachments

• Day-Day 2.jpg
    Day-Day 2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 996