Herb Roasted Pork Rib Roast

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
On occasion, I can find a pork rib roast here at Publix, and it’s usually on sale. I always snatch them up when they appear as they are a bit rare here. These roasts are a real treat as you get two great pieces of pork in one: The Pork Loin and the “Baby Back” Ribs.

Some people say to French the ribs for presentation. I never do as that, IMHO, is a waste of great “Baby Back” rib meat.

Herb Roasted Pork Rib Roast

1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Thyme
1 Tbsp Rosemary
1 - 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tsp Salt

Many times when you get one of these roasts, the butcher will have already cut or cracked the chine bone for you. The chine is the bit of spine where the ribs attach to it. If it is in tact, you will not be able to slice the roast into “chops” once it is done.

The chine should be cut between the ribs so that you can slice the chops off. Unfortunately, this one had its chine fully in tact. So, I had to get medieval on this roast.

I’ve got a “ginzu” type utility knife that I picked up at a Wal-Mart demo years ago. It is the perfect tool for the job for hacking these bones. I set to it, and made cuts through the chine so that I can slice the chops once it is done.

With that done, I mixed the rub together in a bowl, and then liberally coated the roast with it, making sure to get some in the cuts at the chine.

Then I placed it in a roaster and covered it to let it sit on the counter for 2 hours to come up to room temp and also “marinate” a bit in the rub.

Next, it went into a preheated 400 degree oven, uncovered, till it reached 140 degrees internally, about 1 hour.

I took it out, covered it again, and let is rest 10 minutes. Finally, it was time to slice between the bones and through the chine cuts and plate those glorious chops. I served it with Garlic and Oil noodles, Everglades Potatoes, and Garlic Bread Rollups.

TIP: For slicing into portions, it’s easiest to turn the roast over on the cutting board so the bones are facing up and you can easily see how your knife needs to travel.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 170
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 165
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 163
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 167
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 163
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 164
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 173
  • s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 161
  • s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 167
  • s9a.jpg
    s9a.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 178
  • s9b.jpg
    s9b.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 164
  • s9c.jpg
    s9c.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 166

mhend

I said it over in the dinner thread, but I'll say it again: that's just beautiful Keltin!

I am definately gonna be on the lookout for one of these on my next trip to Publix.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you very much. If you don’t see one of these at Publix, and they are rare, ask the butcher if he can cut you one. They usually will if they have the primals available in the back.

To just find them in the meat counter…..I run up on them about once every 2-3 months. So, kind of rare. But again, the butchers at Publix are really nice and won’t mind cutting you one if they have the stock.

If you get them to cut you one, ask them to cut the chine bone in between the rib bones so that you can easily slice the chops off when it’s done.

One thing I didn’t take a pic of that makes this really easy is that I put an oven safe meat thermometer into the roast first, and then put it in the oven. Then, I just used a flashlight to check that thermometer every now and then and watched it climb.

Once it hit 140-143, I pulled it, removed the thermometer, and put the lid on the roaster. I then covered the roaster in a towel and let it rest about 15 minutes.

I have to admit, this meat was pretty incredible. Very tender, juicy, and loads of flavor.

Although…….I did joke with DW that it kind of looked like I rolled it in the yard when I first took it out of the roaster. :yum:

All that Rosemary just reminded me of grass clippings, but it sure tasted great and really added a lot to the meat.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That is a thing of beauty Keltin! :applause: Very nice and it looks so moist and tender.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, that looks GREAT! :thumb:

I enjoy shopping at Publix but my only chance is when we are visiting relatives in Alabama. They aren't in Virginia.

Although…….I did joke with DW that it kind of looked like I rolled it in the yard when I first took it out of the roaster. :yum:

All that Rosemary just reminded me of grass clippings, but it sure tasted great and really added a lot to the meat.

We ate out the other evening. When the salads came I told Beth that I just spent the day spraying the pastures and yard to get rid of stuff that looks just like what was in the bowl!

Jim

Carolina Cooking

I know that 'thing of beauty' is front & center but the sides caught my eye too.

Thats how much bread I should eat. :yum:

that looks like you got lots of chops for another day.

:biggrin: I shop publix so often the bag boys & staff know me by name . They should, I have been going in there a couple times a week for 7 years.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A beautiful, perfectly done pork roast, K! One of my favorite cuts!

LOL about Keltin's sides, Carolina! I'm guessing he's not on Atkins. ;-)

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
A beautiful, perfectly done pork roast, K! One of my favorite cuts!

LOL about Keltin's sides, Carolina! I'm guessing he's not on Atkins. ;-)

Lee

Hmmmm....I rarely think about pairing sides other than "Man, that would taste good". Looking back......I've got three carbs and no veggies! :doh: :pat:

Was good though!!

:yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm just jealous, K!

You are lucky not to have to think about such things.

Lee