KA Stand Mixer

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My great niece is getting married and wanted a stand mixer. I found a coupon code for 30% off at the Kitchenaid Store. If anyone else is wanting one and wants to save a little $$, enter the code PGA30 at checkout to save 30% on top of any special prices they are offering. Looks like she'll be getting a nice gift and I'll be getting a good deal :clap:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Mama!

Also, K'Aid Stand Mixers are still proudly made in the USA!!

Last edited:

Ian M.

Mama -
Lucky girl to have you for an aunt! What a super gift! When Fallon and I got married we were given a Kitchenaid as a gift and we just love it. The only problem Fallon's had with it is that it's stored on a pantry shelf and is nearly too heavy for a shrimp like her to lift down and carry out to the kitchen. As well, whenever she uses the dough hook attachment to knead dough for bread or pastries the bowl manages to get itself locked so tight on that she isn't strong enough to get it turned the other way to get the bowl off. But I think that's what husbands are for isn't it?

Ian :chef:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Mama -
Lucky girl to have you for an aunt! What a super gift! When Fallon and I got married we were given a Kitchenaid as a gift and we just love it. The only problem Fallon's had with it is that it's stored on a pantry shelf and is nearly too heavy for a shrimp like her to lift down and carry out to the kitchen. As well, whenever she uses the dough hook attachment to knead dough for bread or pastries the bowl manages to get itself locked so tight on that she isn't strong enough to get it turned the other way to get the bowl off. But I think that's what husbands are for isn't it?

Ian :chef:

I sometimes have the OPPOSITE of that problem. The work bowl sometimes loosens itself a little from the base.

But I just turn it back into the base to tighten it a bit more, and it stays on. Maybe I didn't tighten it the first time. :chef:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have the bowl lift and never had a problem. I also have the copper bowl insert for whipping egg whites. I love it. But I don't think it is available any more so I am sticking with my 1986 5 qt model. LOL

Hi Peeps - I'd give anything to have a whip attachment to do egg whites but I always have to disattach and use a hand-held mixer to do it. Kind of a nuisance. Ian considers himself a purest and won't use a mixer to whip egg whites with, but instead insists on using a whisk and an awful lot of elbow grease! Men!

Fallon :huh:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I thought all KA come with a balloon whisk. I use the whisk that came with my KA but I put the copper bowl insert in first.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Whazzup with the copper insert> I have whipped them in the SS bowl (I think).

I just watched someone make their own Mayonnaise on TV yesterday with a whisk. She made it look easy.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Whazzup with the copper insert> I have whipped them in the SS bowl (I think).

I just watched someone make their own Mayonnaise on TV yesterday with a whisk. She made it look easy.
It slides inside the bowl. Wash it with salt and vinegar just before you use it. RINSE very well. Then slide it inside the bowl and go from there. The copper reacts with the whites and makes them higher and stiffer.

Ours did come with the balloon whisk - and the regulation beater and the dough hook, etc. but Ian somehow managed to "lose" the whisk. Stubborn fella insists on his manual whisk. He claims it does a better job.
I don't suppose it even occured to him that I might have liked the balloon whisk but I haven't been able to find it since he "lost" it. Oh well.........

Fallon :wink:

Eeps - Lots of money alert. LOL

http://www.thekitchn.com/copper-bowls-for-your-kitchena-45939

Absolutely beautiful though.

Yikes!! On "SALE" at $265? Good grief. But you're right, it's beautiful. I'd love an entire copper kitchen but can't see myself keeping it all spic and span and shiney the way I'd have to. I had a set of Revere Ware once and could barely keep up with that! Now I've got all Le Creuset which I love and that's a lot of maintenance, too. Not to mention being heavy as the dickens and as my DH has already pointed out, I wimp out on heavy!

Fallon :good:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It looks like this only mine isn't as shiny. And it slides inside the regular bowl that came with the KA.

Attachments

• copper_bowl_insert.jpg
    copper_bowl_insert.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 56

Shermie

Site Supporter
Eeps - Lots of money alert. LOL

http://www.thekitchn.com/copper-bowls-for-your-kitchena-45939

Absolutely beautiful though.

Even though those coppers work bowls look very glamorous & elegant and would make one of my K'Aid Stand Mixers look very nice, they cost more than what i paid for the mixers themselves!!!!

Let's see;

I paid $165 for the K-45SS and about $288 for the K-5SS,and for me to have to fork up another $250 to $300 for a copper work bowl, it seem totally insane!!

I DO have extra work bowls for both models, even though they are not copper, but I've gone THIS long without a copper work bowl, it won't hurt to go longer without one. Imagine if I were to get one for each machine. Geez!!!

I just keep some Cream of Tartar on hand for helping to make meringues. Far cheaper!!!:wow:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here they go with THIS warning again, like the one that they posted for the Beater Blade!!

Both of my machines are out of warranty, so it wouldn't matter if I were to get a copper insert or copper bowl for them.

I DO value and treasure the fact that K'Aid stand mixers have a great reliability record and last for many, many, many years, but it seems every time that an accessory comes out that is not made by them, they post this bullcrap warning to try to scare consumers away from desiring to try them!!!

http://kitchenaid.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3388/~/copper-bowl-for-stand-mixer

Shermie

Site Supporter
Of course, if you've got a good strong (bionic) arm and a hand balloon whip, you can get THIS item at a fraction of what the K'Aid copper work bowl costs and save yourself TONS of dough!!

But I might look into getting THIS bowl instead! It has 4 qts. and it's very cheap!!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Old-Dutch-10-Inch-Beating-Copper/dp/B00005Q5G0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1343652896&sr=1-1&keywords=copper+bowls[/ame]

Shermie

Site Supporter
The copper mixing bowl is only $34.95 and the balloon wire whip is only $13.62 for a total cost of only $48.57!!

A savings of over $200 over getting one of the KA copper work bowls!! :drink2:

Also, here's another one;

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Old-Dutch-Copper-4-Quart-Beating/dp/B000AMZMHY/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1343667115&sr=1-3&keywords=copper+mixing+bowls[/ame]

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think THIS one is more solid and heavier for the same price.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Old-Dutch-Copper-4-Quart-Beating/dp/B000AMZMHY/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1343667115&sr=1-3&keywords=copper+mixing+bowls[/ame]

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just got this copper mixing bowl and balloon whip yesterday from Amazon.com. Ain't it purty?!

There is a small dent in the bowl, but I'm keeping it anyway!

Much cheaper though, than the copper work bowl for the KA stand mixers!! :wow:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 41

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
I thought all KA come with a balloon whisk. I use the whisk that came with my KA but I put the copper bowl insert in first.

my pink 1 arrived w/ the whisk & 2 other attachments- a coated whip & the dough hook

Shermie

Site Supporter
They DO look like balloon whips, even though I've never hear them classify them as that.

Havn't seen a coated whip either.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
they're painted dough hooks/etc., sherm. i'll get a pic 4 u.

Last edited:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
My great niece is getting married and wanted a stand mixer. I found a coupon code for 30% off at the Kitchenaid Store. If anyone else is wanting one and wants to save a little $$, enter the code PGA30 at checkout to save 30% on top of any special prices they are offering. Looks like she'll be getting a nice gift and I'll be getting a good deal :clap:

Nice!