to microwave or not to microwave?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i don't own one. i wanted my Mom to return the 1 she got me for Christmas several years ago.
yins guys like microwaves or prefer other ways of making your foods?

CharlieD

I do not use to prep my foods, but sure is convinient for a quick worm up. Couldn't do without one.

buckytom

Grill Master
microwaves have their place in a kitchen and are a very useful tool, but i usually don't consider them as a device which can make a meal. rather, they help prep or finish things such as pre-cooking potatoes, quick defrosting proteins, or reheating leftovers.

as far as any health dangers are concenerned, well, that's just bs. so long as the faraday cage (the metal frame and door) are not damaged or cracked, there's nothing to worry about. ok, except for superheating water, but that has more to do with van der waal's forces of water.

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
it is another tool in my kitchen that i couldnt live without.

i use it everyday. it heats my coffee all day long.

FryBoy

What Buckytom said. The microwave oven is a tool, not a way of life. It's great for melting butter and chocolate, reheating coffee, making a cup of tea, heating soup, etc. etc. And the microwave is tough to beat for reheating many leftovers, from casseroles to steak, IF you learn to use it properly.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, like don't throw a grease pencil in a nuker and turn it on high unless you plan on throwing out the microwave after calling the fire dept. to tell them not to come.

i did that as a kid when i worked in a boigah king one spring.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I agree with all the others, Luvs, and I think it's a tool you would use. It's a great time saver - melting butter, boiling water, re-heating leftovers, melting cheese, defrosting some things, making a quick baked potato, corn on the cob in the shucks, making ramen. It keeps your kitchen cooler and less dishes because you can usually heat it right in the dish you serve in and fewer pots to clean. I use mine many times a day as a tool in cooking.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with all the others, Luvs, and I think it's a tool you would use. It's a great time saver - melting butter, boiling water, re-heating leftovers, melting cheese, defrosting some things, making a quick baked potato, corn on the cob in the shucks, making ramen. It keeps your kitchen cooler and less dishes because you can usually heat it right in the dish you serve in and fewer pots to clean. I use mine many times a day as a tool in cooking.

Oh YEAH! A microwave is invaluable for Ramen in 6 minutes! I love it!

Great for the first step of twice baked potatoes too.

And there are some really good microwaveable instant snacks like Hot Pockets, etc.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've goofed around with a glass measuring cup, a teaspoon of oil, and some popcorn kernels and made fast and easy popcorn for one. Kind of fun.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
And there are some really good microwaveable instant snacks like Hot Pockets, etc.
Great point! We do the frozen eggrolls, taquitos, burritos, corn dogs, sausage biscuits, etc. When Luvs is running late for school or work - she can still nuke something to eat in the car.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Great point! We do the frozen eggrolls, taquitos, burritos, corn dogs, sausage biscuits, etc. When Luvs is running late for school or work - she can still nuke something to eat in the car.

I LOVE the Jimmy Dean's Sausage and Biscuit in the nuker first thing in the morning! A perfect microwave dish.

And re-heating Krystals in the microwave is awesome!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I wouldn't be without my microwave. Defrosting stuff is a good use. We also use to baked potatoes & making hot chocolate. DW's dinner gets warmed as well when she gets home.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i seriously wouldnt be without mine either

but if you are considering a microwave, consider the redneck microwave..lol

also called a cajun microwave..lol

cajun_microwave-inside_view-apr_01.jpg

pic.___24.jpg

http://www.squidoo.com/Cajun-Microwave

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah! What most everyone else said. For me I use the feature of turning the power down quite a lot. It keeps things from cooking on the outside and being frozen on the inside.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
i don't own one. i wanted my Mom to return the 1 she got me for Christmas several years ago.
yins guys like microwaves or prefer other ways of making your foods?
To shun the microwave is like shunning the automobile as a tool to get you from point A to point B when your current transportation is a horse. Yes, both will get you where you want to go, but why would you ignore such a powerful time saver as this is? I'm only piping in here because my nephew was fed the anti-microwave meal when he went to culinary school in Pittsburgh, yet when he did his externship at the Ritz Carlton, the kitchen had several of them, as did each subsequent kitchen he worked in.

No, they will not give you pretty finished meals like an oven will, but there are many times when I've come home to frozen food and was still able to have dinner within an hour. Sorry, but "no nukes in the kitchen" is not a good mindset to embrace. Would you refuse to use one for an employer? I didn't think so. Then why deny yourself the convenience?

BTW, all new construction and renovation of kitchens in single family homes include a built-in microwave. It is "expected" to be there when the buyer walks through, and points are deducted when doing side-by-side comparisons of properties if it is missing. I believe it is also a line item in the description of a home's accessories in the Multiple Listing Service (MLS).

Lefty

Yank
90% of my nuke use is to reheat left overs. Getting used to the settings can be a big help. I use medium ranges to better warm food. High is too powerful a setting for most things. I have even used the low setting to warm food.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm kinda stubborn, guys. i'm not swayed enough to get 1. :) we don't have the room. i have a kitchen that is connected to my living room.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Luvs, microwaves come in all sizes and can be quite compact. See if someone will let you borrow theirs for a week and that way you will know if you like it. Or, look on Craig's List and buy a really inexpensive one. You should be able to find one for $20 or so. If you don't like it, sell it or donate it.

(You know you wanna.)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Good brands of Microwave's are cheap today. I have two, a small one in the office for tenants to use with a small refrigerator and a larger one in our kitchen. We use it for the standard things like defrosting, steaming vegetables, heating soups and left overs etc. I think the one in the office was about $50 and the kitchen about $80 or so. Both are GE but there are many other good brands. They are actually cheap enough now to consider them a disposable item if they break.

buckytom

Grill Master
just give in and get one already, luvs. giiiive iiiiinnnn. join uuuussssssss.

the microwaves don't hurt you. they're our friend.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes if it wasn't for microwave you wouldn't have cell phones, satellite TV (cable comes of satellite also), fast cooking among other things that make up the modern world.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
just give in and get one already, luvs. giiiive iiiiinnnn. join uuuussssssss.

the microwaves don't hurt you. they're our friend.
Plus, here's a secret the microwave companies don't tell you - microwaves are very powerful aphrodisiacs! That's why you want to get a really high powered one. Oh, and make sure you've cleared the kitchen table before Jake gets near it.....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Plus, here's a secret the microwave companies don't tell you - microwaves are very powerful aphrodisiacs! That's why you want to get a really high powered one. Oh, and make sure you've cleared the kitchen table before Jake gets near it.....

Works for me but then so do TV commercials. :yum::yum::yum:

buckytom

Grill Master
a warm breeze works if your pheromones are working.

hmm, something tells me it's often windy around f-mom...