How To Fry Eggs - Easily!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Many years ago when I worked in a restaurant, I learned to make "basted" eggs, which are cooked sunny side up, a drop or two of water added, and then covered and allowed to steam to perfection. That's the way I usually cook eggs, but the timing is critical - a few seconds too long, and you have hard-boiled eggs.

Last edited:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Great info.

Keltin - over here we just call them egg & soldiers. Soft boiled egg with strips of toast and usually its a kids thing. Mind you, I sometimes still have soldiers with my boiled egg.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
On my way! Be ready with coffee and cornbread and ready to tell me all about both places!!! :bounce:

I waited and waited and you never showed up....see what you missed?

Attachments

• breakfast1.jpg
    breakfast1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 217

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:w00t:

MAMA! That looks incredible! Perfect sausage gravy and perfect eggs! You rock!! :clap:

Phiddlechik

yep, Mama, that's what I learned in cooking school... over easy has no brown, and the whites are still runny, too.
When we spent time doing eggs, the other, younger, students took all the small frying pans, had them stashed under their tables. grrrrr.... I had to use a large frying pan. It took me 4 DOZEN eggs to get two to flip and not break! ha!! Hollandaise, souffles, quiches... no problem, but flip two eggs in a large frying pan... no can do!
I prefer over medium when I order in a restaurant, and at home, I like the frizzled lace on a sunny side up, that I've added a bit of water to the pan and covered to steam the top.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I prefer over medium when I order in a restaurant, and at home, I like the frizzled lace on a sunny side up, that I've added a bit of water to the pan and covered to steam the top.

Now that is an awesome tip!!! :clap:

Phiddlechik

just a teaspoon or so... usually put the water in the lid (held upside down), then put the lid on. The water hits the pan when the lid is placed on top, not losing any of the steam.

Vanessa

I love my eggs fried in pretty hot fat so the edges go crinkly brown.
Sunny Side Up to me is with the top cooked by flipping the hot fat over it.

I'd never enjoy an egg with a raw top - like the ones you sometimes see at hotels where they just use a hot plate and don't have either any oil at all or not enough, and don't turn their eggs - YUK!

When I was young we kept Geese and I remember my Mother once frying me two double-yoked goose eggs for breakfast (I was hungrier in those days!).

When I worked in a Guest House I had to cook up to 32 eggs for Breakfast, but I used deeper, not such hot fat, and those metal rings to contain each egg (then I could cook 3 at a time). You do need fresh eggs for that though as the older ones just run everywhere!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love my eggs fried in pretty hot fat so the edges go crinkly brown.
Sunny Side Up to me is with the top cooked by flipping the hot fat over it.

I'd never enjoy an egg with a raw top - like the ones you sometimes see at hotels where they just use a hot plate and don't have either any oil at all or not enough, and don't turn their eggs - YUK!

When I was young we kept Geese and I remember my Mother once frying me two double-yoked goose eggs for breakfast (I was hungrier in those days!).

When I worked in a Guest House I had to cook up to 32 eggs for Breakfast, but I used deeper, not such hot fat, and those metal rings to contain each egg (then I could cook 3 at a time). You do need fresh eggs for that though as the older ones just run everywhere!!!

Awesome Vanessa! I love the sound of your eggs! Sounds like my kind of meal! :clap:

buckytom

Grill Master
it's funny the resolution of detail that we, cooks all, have on the simple ingredient of a chicken's egg.

when i was a kid, my mom was the only person that i knew that could make lace. i was the last of six kids, so lace (from a hot pan) was a natural outcome. i had no idea i was experiencing haute cuisine! lol.

you know, i still remember in the summer of '74, my new sil tried to make eggs thinking she could face off with my mom when we all shared a summer house at the shore on long beach island, nj.

i tried to explian how my mom made eggs perfectly, with soft yolk, and barely crisped edges, picturing a golden laced, lightly finished, sunny side up egg.
she made me fried eggs that were burned on the edges, solid yolk. :sad:

i smiled and choked them down. hey, that's always been my brother's problem, not, mine, lol. to this day. :wink:

my preference: just barely over easy, warm runny yolk, thin canadian bacon, pastrami, or taylor ham, and bell pepper and onion home fries. with buttered whole wheat toast. break the eggs over the meat and spuds, and go at it.

my god i need eggs, l0ol.

Vanessa

=lilbopeep - Before there were any in new jersey we would do day trips to conneticut which had the closest cracker barrel!!

This is right off topic I guess but the "day trips to get something" triggered a tang in my mouth!!
When I lived near Montreal for a while I got desperate for some British Style pickle and I recall driving over 200 miles round trip one day just to stock up with some Branston Pickle (bet there was some locally but I never found any!). MMMMmmmmmm - I still use it frequently.
Vanessa
PS - thanks for the tips on Lacing, it's a new name to me so as I have achieved it before without knowing it had a name I'll now have to look it up.
I think it was made easier when I fried tomatoes with my bacon and the fat got "wet".

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just had stupid old cold cereal for breakfast and am drooling over this egg conversation!

Which reminds me of one of my neighbor's stories. She was one of 6 kids who were all born very close together. Her mother insisted on making all the kids a hot breakfast of some kind of meat, eggs, toast, sometimes French toast or waffles every single day of the week, except Sundays.

On Sundays, each kid looked forward to having a bowl of cold cereal of their choice! Each kid had his/her own box and couldn't wait to dig in!

LOL!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I like mine fried in butter, flipped twice, over-easy, with lots of bacon on the side :)
..and yes, the crispy brown edges on the white is nice.

2010-10-11 17-31-19.881.jpg

Leni

Keltin I cook eggs pretty much the same way you do. My dad introduced a different technique. He was raised in a home that had servants and never learned to cook. He decided to teach himself with interesting results. In this case he cut bacon into bite sized pieces and then fried them until they were almost done. After draining excess drippings and arranging the bacon in a circle he broke an egg into the bacon circle and covered it with a lid. If it didn't steam properly he'd add a little water to the pan. Mom was taken aback but decided that was really the way to do it because it tasted so good. You get a bite of bacon with each bite of egg. It adds a nice flavor to the egg. She called them pink eggs because the yolk looked pink most of the time. I hate it when the yolk gets set. I want my egg yolk runny.

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
because of this and another recent thread, i've eaten eggs about 8 times in the past 2 weeks.

i've gotten sunny side up with home fries and toast, over easy with blueberry pancakes, fried with taylor ham and cheese on a soft roll, scrambled with pastrami and raw onion on a hero, and finally - over easy with bacon and french fries.

and i'm not done yet. i think a trip to katz's deli is in store for me on saturday morning.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
because of this and another recent thread, i've eaten eggs about 8 times in the past 2 weeks.

i've gotten sunny side up with home fries and toast, over easy with blueberry pancakes, fried with taylor ham and cheese on a soft roll, scrambled with pastrami and raw onion on a hero, and finally - over easy with bacon and french fries.

and i'm not done yet. i think a trip to katz's deli is in store for me on saturday morning.

Oh man, why did you have to do that??? I was doing ok.....but now, I'm DYING for eggs and home fries!! :clap:

Hmmm.....this week's Franken-Pantry has eggs in it!!

abi_csi

so great tips here guys, one thing which gets to me when frying an egg is when the bottom of the eggs gets over cooked due to waiting for top to fully cook. Flipping it is an easy option but not all like this. I add enough oil to frying pan and when the majority of egg is done put pan at angle so oil is collected together and use spatula to flick oil on top of egg. this cooks the top enough to finish egg off leaving yolk lovely and soft. hope this may improve someones frying!!!!!