Photobucket Is Holding People's Photos For "Ransom"

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The company is now charging a $400 fee to hot-link images — which will break photos on tons of old websites and blogs.

Late last month, Photobucket changed its policy so that if you want to host your photos there and post them to another website — your eBay seller page, or perhaps your blog or website — it’s going to cost you $400. People are pissed, saying it’s tantamount to holding their photos for ransom, a form of extortion.
Read all about it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Notably, many of Joe's baking photos are now gone, as well as Peeps nice dinner pics.

Right now I have postimage should I want to use a host, rather than directly from my documents via the Manage Attachments button.

Ironman

🍺
Well that's a bunch of horseshit. I can imagine the backlash coming... I'm seeing it on a couple other forums too. I won't ever be using them, even if it's "free". Geez... I guess I know why Doc always encouraged us to add an attachment right from the post.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Can you get your own photos back and put them on dropbox. google Drive or somewhere?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Can you get your own photos back and put them on dropbox. google Drive or somewhere?

Oh yes, I can Andy, but do you have any idea how long it would take to sort through all the albums for the last ohhh, 12 years? lol
Lots have gone in a new folder in my documents.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have all my old photos on my computer. I edit/resize all my photos in paintshop pro before I host and post. So I have the original digital pictures off my camera and edited pictures in folders. I will try to rehost and replace as many of my recipe thread pictures especially the tutorials.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I don't like what they're doing either, and if they're going to charge, I'm out. I have to wonder how they're choosing who to put the screws to first. I only have about 5% on my bucket, so maybe they're going after the accts first who have the most to lose/most pic's. I've had some problems, but it still seems to work with a little finagling.

There's always Flickr.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I don't like what they're doing either, and if they're going to charge, I'm out. I have to wonder how they're choosing who to put the screws to first. I only have about 5% on my bucket, so maybe they're going after the accts first who have the most to lose/most pic's. I've had some problems, but it still seems to work with a little finagling.

There's always Flickr.

My bucket says I'm at around 1% and my pics are gone.

IMG_2470.PNG

Why does it say Free on the left side? Free to store BUT pay to share!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
this is what mine says @ 32%- all pics are still there.

Untitled.jpg

They want you to download the app, Peeps?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Now I could swear the pics in posts #3 and 4 were showing before I logged in here.
It's all becoming so :confused:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have the app for a few years now. I would use the app to show people at work when I would edit and uploaded product images. Before I updated a page on the website to go live.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have the app for a few years now. I would use the app to show people at work when I would edit and uploaded product images. Before I updated a page on the website to go live.

ahh okay. App for your phone.
When I looked there a while ago, did a search for free anywhere on the page.

On the part of my page under my name where it shows 32%, it says Get More < they want you to click on that.

Once you do that, it shows the Plus 50, Plus 100 and Plus 500 plan offers.

Another note of interest, clicking on the customer support link took me to a pop up that says;
Oops.
The page you were looking for doesn't exist.
You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.
Take me back to the home page.
:confused:
Didn't mistype anything, they're being flooded with complaints methinks.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Look at the Plus 50 plan (in the cropped pic) - storage and no linking

Even more of a reason to say to heck with 'em.
Before this whole thing even started, I was having some problems with it stalling out, not accepting reasonable sized photos- sometimes there would be a black box and I had to check back later.

I have been working on saving every pic in the bunch that is of value, then deleting the rest.