Vera's Braised Lamb Shanks

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Use 1 shank per person. Have the butcher split the flesh at the joint. The bone will be exposed after roasting.

January2010065.jpg

Season the shanks with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Saute in oil on both sides till browned in an oven safe pan.

January2010067.jpg

Remove to a holding plate. Drain out all oil save for 2T. Saute 1/4 c onion slices, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 c carrots and 1 cup seedless grapes. After 5 minutes add 3/4 c port and 1/2 c crushed tomato
January2010068.jpg

Bring to a boil. Return shanks to the pan. Cover and move to 350 degree oven for 2 hours.

Remove shanks to holding plate. Put contents of pan into a food processor or a deep bowl (for immersion blending).

Spoon sauce onto plate. Place shank on top of sauce.
January2010082.jpg

Deelady

Mmmmm looks good :)
So why is it you want the butcher to slice it at the bone? Is it just for presentation purposes?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Vera, I'm definitely going to make this! I LOVE lamb shanks and haven't tried this technique before (I usually crockpot them).

BTW, I copied your post into the Tutorials forum. Hope that's okay.

This looks fantastic!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Vera, I'm definitely going to make this! I LOVE lamb shanks and haven't tried this technique before (I usually crockpot them).

BTW, I copied your post into the Tutorials forum. Hope that's okay.

This looks fantastic!

Lee

Crockpots are great, but you don't really get the opportunity to brown first. Copying this to tutorials is fine, thanks!