A day at work

Peter-John

Seeing that I am from the UK and (correct me if I am wrong) most of you are form the USA. I think that it would be a great opportunity to share our different means and ways of doing things.
As some of you may know already, I recently applied for a job and after waiting patiently...... I got it!!

Starting at my new job, I was nervously excited. I had so many things that I still needed to learn. Even though I applied for a chef :chef: position, I started right at the bottom.
Day 1: Washing dishes – This broadens my knowledge to where everything goes... I guess.

[:respect: Fisher's Mom - Good idea]

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Good luck with the new job and I hope you don't retain dish washing duties for too long. I washed dishes in the basement of the student union at the University of Wisconsin for two months before I quit. At least it paid for my beer.... lol

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Seeing that I am from the UK and (correct me if I am wrong) most of you are form the USA. I think that it would be a great opportunity to share our different means and ways of doing things.
As some of you may know already, I recently applied for a job and after waiting patiently...... I got it!!

Starting at my new job, I was nervously excited. I had so many things that I still needed to learn. Even though I applied for a chef :chef: position, I started right at the bottom.
Day 1: Washing dishes – This broadens my knowledge to where everything goes... I guess.

What types of things did you have in mind?

FuzzyB

Hehe well you have to start somewhere and maybe starting you at the bottom is the way of showing the ins and outs of all things kitchen so that when you become the chef you applied to be you will know it all inside and out.

In most jobs you have to start somewhere right? Where I work now I started off doing data entry but I am glad I did as it helped me work my way around the systems really well! It all pays I guess! As long as your not stuck there for too long hehe!

Peter-John

Good luck with the new job and I hope you don't retain dish washing duties for too long. I washed dishes in the basement of the student union at the University of Wisconsin for two months before I quit. At least it paid for my beer.... lol
When I was still at University, all I wanted was money to pay for a beer, now I need money to pay my rent and what ever is left goes to... a Heineken. :beer:

What types of things did you have in mind?
Anything really, it doesn't just have to be about cooking.

In most jobs you have to start somewhere right? Where I work now I started off doing data entry but I am glad I did as it helped me work my way around the systems really well! It all pays I guess! As long as your not stuck there for too long hehe!
I agree, this is what allows you to build up what ever future you have planned at a specific restaurant, as now the managers will truly see if you are committed to hard work, dish washing is a crappy job, but you need to work your ass of to keep up with it..

Deelady

Sounds like they may be also testing you to see how much of a team player you are. I say do it with a smile, and if conditions don't improve within a reasonable amount of time...hand in your notice with an even bigger smile! :D

First, Welcome, & congrats on your new job. Yes, I am in the U.S., but I am sure everyone (who works/worked) can relate to starting a new job no matter where you are on the globe.

I have not worked in the Food Industry. I have worked in the Motion Pic Industry all my adult life. I had/have a Union to back me. I had/have a contract, so the way I do things must comply w/ my contract.

I have known studio execs that have started at the bottom, & worked their way up. Keep your eyes & ears open, if you want career advancement. But, it's a different industry from the one you mentioned.

If you are qualified as a Chef, I would (IMHO) hold out for a Chef's position. Being the tough economy that it is here, I can understand taking a job to meet/pay the bills.

My days were very different - no two days completely the same. My adrenalin started pumping as soon as I woke up - knowing what I had to to, & keep my job. Handing in a resignation w/ a smile (when & if I was displeased or didn't agree w/ the "politics") was never an option, for me.)

Again, good luck. Follow your passion, & stay optimistic. Put in the time & work, garner any knowledge you can, & move forward when the time is right for you

Peter-John

I am sure that there is not much difference around the globe when starting a new job, it can be pretty crappy all round, it is maybe just our ways and means of doing things...

I am not about to hand in my resignation just yet, I will still give this time to reach it's full potential, if indeed it does not reach mine over time, then I will through in the rope and quit...till then... I will wash my way to the grill. :shock:

Tuscan Chef

I wish you a succesful job. If you need any help with either recipes or ingredinets or even wine (Manuela's husband has a good knowledge of the Montalcino area), just PM me. Being in the UK cost of shipping wine and other ingredients are little.

Duppies

I'm not from the US, I'm from South AFrica. My first job was at a marketing company. I started out making cold calls and admin until I got to do more creative work. There is a means to an end...Just bite the bullet!