Wintertime Peach Pie

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You'll need a 2 crust pie crust (I highly recommend using my flaky pie crust).

For the filling:
Mix together:
2 (24-ounce) jars of peaches, drained well, reserving syrup
1/3 cup of the reserved syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

You will also need:
2 Tablespoons Butter
Heavy Cream (for brushing the top of the pie)
1 Tablespoon Raw Sugar

Pour the filling into pie shell and dot with 2 Tablespoons butter.

Top with the second crust. Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle the Raw Sugar. Cut slits in the top for the steam to escape. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Then comes the hard part......waiting for it to cool :wink:

Attachments

• peach-pie.jpg
    peach-pie.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
OMG. My favorite pie.. looks very tasty mama. Do you ship to.Texas? Lol

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have to find a restaurant or dinner that has sugar in the raw packets so I can acquire a few. :whistle: LOL I don't want to buy a whole box of it. (I really can't have it and no one else will use it.)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You could probably just sprinkle it with plain sugar Peepers....it might not be quite as pretty but I'm sure it would still taste good.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I cant make a pie crust Mama. Its one of the things i have to say beat me. Lol

Sugar in the raw sample packs available at your local Starbucks. Lol

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I cant make a pie crust Mama. Its one of the things i have to say beat me. Lol

Sugar in the raw sample packs available at your local Starbucks. Lol

LOL Thanks for the "sample" info. LOL

I am also pie crust challenged. LOL

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You can ask all my exes, many a pie crust have met its demise against the wall. Lmao

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Follow the recipe on my site for flaky pie crust. It a very forgiving recipe.

Look at the pictures while you're making it and if after you incorporate the wet ingredients it's dry and won't form a ball, add a tad bit more water, if it's too sticky, add a tad bit more flour.

Make sure you move your crust around and pick up some more flour on the bottom side as you roll it out so that it doesn't stick to the counter.

Also, be sure to use lard, you can find it in the Mexican food aisle. It will keep in your pantry. Once you try lard, you probably won't go back to using shortening.

A lot of folks don't like to use lard because they think that shortening is healthier but natural lard is actually the healthier alternative to hydrogenated fats like Crisco or even butter. It is lower in saturated fat than either of them. Unfortunately, natural lard is hard to find though. Most of the commercial stuff you buy in the grocery store is a mixture of lard and hydrogenated lard. Even with that though it's not as bad for you as Shortening since it just contains some hydrogenated fat unlike shortening which is all hydrogenated. Here's a great article on lard: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/lard-the-new-health-food

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Follow the recipe on my site for flaky pie crust. It a very forgiving recipe.

Look at the pictures while you're making it and if after you incorporate the wet ingredients it's dry and won't form a ball, add a tad bit more water, if it's too sticky, add a tad bit more flour.

Make sure you move your crust around and pick up some more flour on the bottom side as you roll it out so that it doesn't stick to the counter.

Also, be sure to use lard, you can find it in the Mexican food aisle. It will keep in your pantry. Once you try lard, you probably won't go back to using shortening.

A lot of folks don't like to use lard because they think that shortening is healthier but natural lard is actually the healthier alternative to hydrogenated fats like Crisco or even butter. It is lower in saturated fat than either of them. Unfortunately, natural lard is hard to find though. Most of the commercial stuff you buy in the grocery store is a mixture of lard and hydrogenated lard. Even with that though it's not as bad for you as Shortening since it just contains some hydrogenated fat unlike shortening which is all hydrogenated. Here's a great article on lard: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/lard-the-new-health-food
I've never seen egg or vinegar in a pie crust before. I will have to try it. Also how do you get the bottom crust to completely cook and not be soggy? I have a 50/50 success rate on soggy bottom. LOL

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've not had a soggy crust problem. It may be because I chill the crust right before rolling it out and filling it and I bake my pies on the bottom rack of the oven.

I found these tips that are supposed to prevent a soggy crust:

• Coat the top surface of the lower crust with melted butter.
  • Bake in a hot oven (425° F) for the first 15 minutes of baking (or 450° F for first 10 minutes).
  • Thicken the filling before placing in the pastry-lined pan.
  • Use a somewhat drier pastry (slightly reduce the water).
  • Chill pastry for 1 hour before adding the filling.
  • Repair cracks or holes in the pastry to prevent filling from seeping into or under crust.
  • Bake pie on the oven shelf nearest the bottom of the oven.
I've also read where you can brush your bottom crust with apricot jam before filling it.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
My problem is that as soon as I touch pie dough the fat melds. My hands are super warm.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Bams, after you make your dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30 minutes to an hour. Unwrap and use a knife to cut it in half. Wrap the half you are not working with and put it back in the refrigerator until you are ready for it. Don't handle the dough any more than you have to. After you roll it out with your rolling pin, roll it up onto your rolling pin and roll it back onto your pie plate and just ease it down into the pie plate.

Maybe you could put your pie plate in the fridge for a while after you put the crust in it before you fill it and top it?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I know what I need.

Coming to a city near you: "Mama teaches southern cooking" :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Mama I have several questions.

Can I use canned peaches? If so in light or heavy syrup?

Also after draining the peaches do you put them into the crust? Do you cook and thicken all the other filling ingredients before adding to the peaches? Or just mix them all together and allow to thicken while baking? I ask because I tend to have a soggy bottom crust problem.

I may have to make this this weekend. LOL

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Yep, I used canned peaches, I just buy the ones in the jar iso I can see what they look like. I used the ones in light syrup.

You drain the peaches, put them in a bowl along with all of the filling ingredients, mix, pour them into the crust, top and bake. It's just that easy. The filling cooks right in the pie. Try to let the pie cool completely before cutting because the filling thickens up as it cools. The pie in the pic above cooled and I put it in the fridge overnight and heated up each individual slice in the microwave before serving.