Gold Site Supporter
Classic Hard Sauce (Pillsbury)

Ingredients

1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons hot water
1 tablespoon brandy, bourbon or rum, or 1 teaspoon brandy or rum extract
Steps

In small bowl, combine all ingredients; beat at high speed until well blended. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until serving time. Serve over warm dessert. Store in refrigerator.

[FONT=&quot]Hard Sauce[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 cup confectioners' sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon brandy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat butter till light [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and fluffy.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gradually beat in sugar, brandy and vanilla until [/FONT][FONT=&quot]creamy.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Refrigerate. (makes 1/2 cup)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]Hard Sauce
1/3 cup butter
1/3 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup powdered sugar
2/3 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon Brandy
Cream the butter, add sugar gradually, and flavoring.
Refrigerate till ready to use.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Except for the brandy, they are all pretty much the way I've always made a quick vanilla frosting.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
In England, Steve's mother used to make a hard icing for puds with nothing but icing sugar, butter, beaten egg and vanilla.

I was never wild about eating it because the egg wasn't cooked, even though it was kept refrigerated.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Craig's oma made a fudge pudding to go with hard sauce. It's a baked pudding.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Sass - it's all in the timing....

starting in the mid-90's UK required salmonella vaccines for all hens with the "Lion seal" - analogous to the FDA shield marking/program/standards.

the industry fought salmonella vaccinations for egg producing hens - the cost was like 19 cents/bird at the time. so now they have to keep eggs under refrigeration 24 hrs from egg lay to your shopping cart.

methinks they did a stoopid.....

incidence of salmonella in UK is very low; the Netherlands had zero (domestic) cases recently (two vacationers were sick-on-return)

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
so I did the middle one - with the vanilla - and some "Jefferson" bourbon
60 g butter + 120 g confectioner's sugar - came together splendidly.
the vanilla version is really close to what we remember - thanks for the tip LT

DSC_5622.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Weren't you supposed to save that fruitcake for Christmas, Tom???

Lee

P.S. Your "hard sauce" looks exactly like my butter frosting. And I make it exactly the same way, only next time, I may add your brandy. :D

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
. . . . has to be sampled / qc'd (g)

that hard sauce for the fruit cake is much too stiff for a frosting - especially kept in the fridge. a couple drops of water would certainly thin it.

getting the right proportions is tricky when making such a small qty - not much room for error.