Saurbraten

PanchoHambre

luv sauerbraten. we learn minute-to-minute, how to get a food the way we would prefer.

This did not turn out well - totally outside my own familiar zone - I got a few things wrong - next time i will use better vinegar and maybe mix with wine - also perhaps not cook it in the pickle - i think this was the big mistake here. It was just too sour - and I LOVE sour, also I did not use good quality vinegar - so I feel I know where the flavor went wrong but not so much the texture - it was way too mushy. I used the slow cooker, and I used bottom round. I think chick roast maybe better and maybe not the slow cooker next time.

Ideas?

On the upside the gravy was excellent and my braised cabbage with caraway came out delish but the meat was not good.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yeah. we learn as life throws punches. i've recipes. i'll post. very sleepy tho if u remind me, u'll have a few recipes.

Leni

I'll dig out my German grandmothers recipe and post it. You need to marinate it for three or four days, Good quality vinegar and wine is a must.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
sauerbraten I do once / twice a year.

my first attempts followed directions. the stuff was so tart, nothing like what I had in Germany - basically inedible.

so now I use the usual and customary supermarket vinegar / etc and marinate not more than 30 hours.

fits my tastes.
ymmv.

PanchoHambre

pls post guys

I looked at old recipes and after looking at new ones like altons I think I have some ideas what went wrong - but i still think altons it too much - this should be very basic he slightly complicates - probably tastier but I would love simple classic recipe.

would be great to see a bunch of methods- def one of those dishes where there are a number of ways to skin a cat.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
rang my Dad's phone a few ago. i'll consult Chef's books soon, too.

High Cheese

Saucier
My wife (Georgian) makes Solyanka which is basically a beef and pickle stew. The recipe calls for round, but we found chuck is ALOT better. Never made sauerbraten but you might be able to use this recipe along with a sauerbraten recipe.

If you look up images of Solyanka, this recipe looks nothing like a tomato based stew. It's more like a beef stew with a zing of the pickles.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3P...gGozIGgBg&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
checked out the AB method - essentially similar to what I've learned - variations in spices . . .

the acid in vinegar does "cook" the meat - in terms of denaturing the protein - that may explain the mushy part.

I've asked some German really good home cooks, and they use "days" of marinade - perhaps one explanation, not investigated, is a difference in vinegars. The FDA requires a minimum 4.5% (I think that's right...) acetic acid - the requirement likely either different or may not exist at all in European countries.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My wife (Georgian) makes Solyanka which is basically a beef and pickle stew. The recipe calls for round, but we found chuck is ALOT better. Never made sauerbraten but you might be able to use this recipe along with a sauerbraten recipe.

If you look up images of Solyanka, this recipe looks nothing like a tomato based stew. It's more like a beef stew with a zing of the pickles.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3P...gGozIGgBg&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

HC, I scrolled to page 80 to find the Beef and Pickle Stew (which I am DEFINITELY going to make), but couldn't copy and paste. Couldn't even print it out, for some reason.

But I handwrote the recipe and will type it in a thread of it's own.

YUMMMM!

Lee

PanchoHambre

that recipe looks great HC I am def gonna try that - i love pickles

i dunno Qsis - when i clicked the link went straight to the recipe

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Beefstewwithpickles.jpg

Johnny West

That recipe does look good and will have to try it after Easter.
I imagine it would do well in a crock pot or Instant Pot.