Office Chili Cook-off redux

PanchoHambre

It's that time of year again! Friday is the office chili cook-off and I want to knock em dead. My last efforts have failed for being too hot (I work with wusses who think ketchup is hot and cornbread should be sticky sweet) so I am going to try to do something more mass appeal this year

what I have learned so far

Hot is bad... one year mine was legitimately too hot even for me

People like beans and tomatoes... Yankees!

Here is what I am thinking so far

Mixed beans - ie bean soup mix more interesting than just pintos (I usually use dried)

Meat - I am undecided... thinking either cut up chuck into bitty squares, use fresh chorizo with jalepeno from the mexican grocery, or meatloaf mix (pork veal beef) all have their benefits

Tomatoes - I have canned diced with chilies. Think they will work. dice will add some texture over sauce

Chili - I have a can of adobo in sauce I like the smoky flavor they add - have to go light because they were responsible for my too hot chili

Sweet - usually use molasses but I have brown sugar on hand

Depth - dark mexican chocolate and coffee concentrate, I also have some black tequila on hand

ideas suggestions...

oh and I have a really fancy new slow cooker

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
since you are thinking on the chorizo maybe stay away from the chilis in adobos since that is more added heat...

to get the smokey flavor, i fry about half pound of bacon and then fry my onions/garlic in it to give that smokey depth

if can find some different dried peppers so you can grind them up.. ancho's,arbol

take a look at this recipe..add some beans(i dont but its acceptable)..lol

if you cant find any of those peppers locally let me know and i can ship some out to you tomorrow...

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20732

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, Panch, Bam is right - you have too many hots in the ingredients you listed above.

The masses (of which I am part), like a mild hint of heat. The easiest way to control that is to add good powdered chilis (as opposed to "chili powder" which is also nice, but a very mild blend).

I like ground beef in my chili, not cubed beef. I LOVE beans in it. Not sweet, so much.

However, I like the addition of a little chocolate and coffee.

Thoughts from a Yankee and self-admitted wussy. :)

Lee

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

thanks guys

I am sure I will not have to freeze the other half pound of bacon... it has ways of getting used LOL

I have easy access to dried chilies more than powered hoe do you grind them always read to reconstitute peel and puree which is a PITA

Q I will try to hold the heat down.. I promise

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I have a cheap coffee grinder that is used to grind my spices. I don't rehydrate, I just remove most of the seeds as I have found that they get bitter.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Dad won chili contests. if he'll divulge, i'll divulge.

we agree my chili is way better, tho. he has yet to try it.

you have the correct thought in that some-many- like beenz & meat combined, & too spicy for the masses is a nada. it's gotta be a crowd-pleaser, definately. stuff anyone would be brave enough to try, rather than hear to avoid as it's too spicy.

i'd combine beenz- textural differences & visual appeal can draw people to your chili, too, as it is interesting. lots of of work, if using seperate pots/cooking/soaking times.. not tooooo many- familiarity is good, too, in its own way.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

so it's on

the final product

Meats: Ground Beef, Chorizo, Bacon.
Veg: Onion, Garlic, Bell Pepper, Tomato (whole small and diced w/green chili), Hominy
Beans: Pinto
Liquids: Diced Tomato, Ancho Puree, Ancho Water, Bean Water, Coffee, Black Tequila Deglaze, Coffee Concentrate, a touch of liquid smoke.
Also: Spices, Honey, Brown sugar, Salt

right now... Meh! but I am afraid to add more of anything will see how it is in the morning if I need to add something.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
it sounds damned good, panch. tweak a small mug if need be & impov from there in the morning. til then,....... on pins & needles for 'ya!