What to do with Vinegar Peppers?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought these to have with pork chops, but I still have 3/4 of a big jar.

What else can I do with them?

Lee

Attachments

• Vinegar peppers.jpg
    Vinegar peppers.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,229

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
one can become well beat up should one suggest 'what they are' - apparently every deli in every town has its own idea of what kind of peppers are (. . . gasp . . .) 'authentic'

often used in Italian style sandwiches - subs/heros/hoagies/zeps

diced to minced use any place calling for vinegar&oil dressing/marinade/etc
or just julienned/diced in green or pasta salads

Dogboa

one can become well beat up should one suggest 'what they are' - apparently every deli in every town has its own idea of what kind of peppers are (. . . gasp . . .) 'authentic'

often used in Italian style sandwiches - subs/heros/hoagies/zeps

diced to minced use any place calling for vinegar&oil dressing/marinade/etc
or just julienned/diced in green or pasta salads

I was trying to find out if they were green bell peppers as opposed to some type of chili. This would direct my recommendation for use.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Pastene Sweet Green Sliced Peppers are green bell peppers, harvested at their sweetest and then preserved to maintain their crunchy texture and flavor. INGREDIENTS:Peppers, Water, Vinegar, Salt, Sodium Metablsulphite, Alum, F.D&C Yellow #5 Food Color,Preserved with 1/10 of 1% Benzoate of Soda.

Dogboa

Pastene Sweet Green Sliced Peppers are green bell peppers, harvested at their sweetest and then preserved to maintain their crunchy texture and flavor. INGREDIENTS:Peppers, Water, Vinegar, Salt, Sodium Metablsulphite, Alum, F.D&C Yellow #5 Food Color,Preserved with 1/10 of 1% Benzoate of Soda.

Thanks, that is all I needed to know.

I would mix them in with sliced sweet onions, sliced red/yellow/orange peppers, thin sliced garlic, dried oregano, S&P to taste with a little olive oil spritz. Preferably done on the grill, but a saute pan is fine. Served with grilled Italian sausage, on a bun.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm on board w/ sammiches, lee-- they're so yummy & versatile, too--

we also have them as is in my family-- & prosciutto would pair well w/ them; salt & spice--

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know where I was when all these replies were written, so I'm glad that Luvs bumped up this thread!

I love Dogboa's idea of incorporating vinegar peppers along with grilled fresh sweet peppers and onions for Italian sausage subs! I will definitely do that when the weather gets warmer.

Also love luvs suggestion of adding them to a prosciutto sandwich (have to have provolone, too).

And I printed out one of the pork chop dishes from Cook's Country that Sass linked. Has more stuff in it that I like. I'll try that one right away and post an adapted version of the recipe.

Thanks, everyone!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I made one of the recipes that Sass posted above and it was great! https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7424-pork-chops-with-vinegar-peppers

I had two thick pork chops, I used only one cup of sliced vinegar peppers and I thickened the sauce with a bit of Wondra. Everything else I did as per the recipe. Oh, and I didn't have rosemary (too bad, cuz I love it).

I thought with the peppers and red wine vinegar it might be TOO vinegar-y, but it wasn't.

Even better leftover (I only ate half a chop per meal).

Thanks, Sass!

I still have enough peppers leftover to try both Dogboa's sausage and pepper, and luvs prosciutto and pepper sandwiches.

Lee

Pork Chops with Vinegar Peppers

Ingredients
3 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper
4 (8- to 10-ounce) bone-in pork rib chops, 1 inch thick, trimmed
cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, halved and sliced thin
8 garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled
2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and minced
1 cup thinly sliced sweet green vinegar peppers
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Instructions
Serves 4

1. Dissolve sugar and 3 tablespoons salt in 1½ quarts cold water in large container. Add chops, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.

2. Place flour in shallow dish. Remove chops from brine. Pat chops dry with paper towels and season with pepper. Working with 1 chop at a time, dredge both sides in flour, shaking off excess. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chops and cook until well browned on first side, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip chops and cook on second side for 1 minute; transfer to plate, browned side up.

3. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, garlic, and anchovies to now-empty skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add peppers and rosemary and cook until peppers begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add broth and vinegar and bring to boil.

4. Arrange chops, browned side up, in skillet and add any accumulated juices from plate. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until chops register 145 degrees, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer chops to serving platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil.

5. Increase heat to high and boil sauce until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir any accumulated juices from platter into sauce. Discard rosemary and spoon sauce over chops. Serve.

Thick chops, browned

Pork%20chops%201.JPG

Onions and garlic

Pork%20chops%202.JPG

Vinegar peppers added

Pork%20chops%203.JPG

Plated, with kabocha squash

Pork%20chops%204.JPG