Red Drum

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
. . . for Christmas Dinner. we're going "different" this year,,,,,

tips/trick/recipes/ideas/experiences?

I've found bake and grilled and a court bouillon for poaching....
planning on doing the fish whole (no head; we got squeamish diners)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not sure what you're asking for here, Cman.

You want suggestions for "different"? Kinda wide open.

Or suggestions for what to serve with fish?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
oops. I've done whole fish many times - however just wanted to ask if anyone has experience with a specific method on a large-ish fish like a red drum - they are not commonly available outside of the local where caught area (because the locals like them so much, so I'm told...) but our fish monger has family links whereby he can get red drum semi-regularly.

the other issue is what seasoning profile may fit best. for example last night I did orange roughy - the fishmonger suggested baked with an apricot glaze - it worked most excellently! but just any ole' glaze may not have....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My brother-in-law does red fish on the half shell that is out of this world. He's a big time fisherman. I don't know exactly how he does it, but the skin on the bottom of the filet gets crispy, and you can just slide your fork between the skin and flesh and get big chunks of buttery seasoned fish. I'm not sure, but I think he uses lemon pepper, lemon juice, and a ton of butter, maybe something else :). He does his on the grill.

I also don't think you can go wrong with court bouillon (coo-be-yahn). My nephew went to his in-laws last Christmas Eve, who are Cajun, and that's what they had. He raved about it. For Christmas, I think I'd add some more variety of seafood other than just the fish, not sure what all theirs had in it. Baguettes on the side and I'd be a happy camper.

Just for my tastes, I wouldn't put anything sweet on the fish.

Edit to Add - Thought of something else - Cioppino!

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've got the skin-on-sear-loose thing down pretty good - it's SOP here - I only buy skinless filets when 'that's all that looked good' (g). leaving the scales on is not common around here - probably does work better on a grill tho - provides a bit more cushion against searing through to the flesh....

I'm leaning toward a court bouillon prep now - sounds more interesting . . .