Roast Chicken.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Roast Chicken.
Discussion in 'Meat and Poultry' started by Shermie.

1. roast-chicken-superjumbo-jpg.5579

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Ingredients;

1 2 - 3-lb frying chicken.
    1 small onion. sliced.
    1/2 bell pepper, sliced.
    1 stalk celery, roughly cut.
    1 carrot, peeled & roughly cut. Set these ingredients aside in large bowl.

1/2 stick butter, softened to room temp.
    1 tablespoon oil.
    1/2 teaspoon each; Sage, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Vinegar, Old Bay Seasoning, ground black pepper, Italian Seasoning & pinch of Cyan pepper or Cajon seasoning.

Directions;

Mix all these ingredients with the softened butter in a small bowl.

After thoroughly cleaning chicken, fold back the wings & with a pastry brush, smear the butter mixture all over the bird, top & bottom.

Place it on a rack in roaster or cast iron skillet that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Breast side down. Season onion mixture with a little salt & pepper. place around chicken.

Place in hot oven. Roast breast side down for about 15 - 20 minutes. Turn chicken over & roast breast side up for another 15 - 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue roasting for another 50 minutes. Internal temperature should register about 160 degrees on a meat Remove chicken from oven & let it cool slightly before slicing.

You can make a gravy from the drippings to go over whatever starch you like.
    wink.gif

roast-chicken-superjumbo-jpg.5579

Last edited: 22 minutes ago

~Shermie.
    wink.gif

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Shermie, is that your photo???

I have never seen a more beautiful roasted chicken!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Unfortunately, it is not.

I forgot to take some pics of the actual one that I did. I'm babysitting with some small children and I decided to make a special meal for them. :piesmiley1::eating2:

Johnny West

That looks excellent. I've not done this in years but I would stuff a chicken with dressing, pheasants, too. This looks like a good thing to try.

Shermie

Site Supporter
That looks excellent. I've not done this in years but I would stuff a chicken with dressing, pheasants, too. This looks like a good thing to try.

Thanks! But that one isn't mine. It LOOKED like that one though. I forgot to take a pic of it when it was done. :sad:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since this was bumped up, I have a question that maybe someone can answer: What's the point of putting the aromatic vegetables around the pan? Just to flavor the gravy?

Wouldn't they be a bit crispy at 500 degrees for a half hour?

Otherwise, I love the looks of the recipe!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I would put the veggies inside the bird. I mix butter, sage, rosemary and thyme and put it under the skin. It just occurred to me that maybe some carrots, onions and potatoes inside the body would be tasty.

As an aside, I fell across my BBQ injector and have been injecting liquid seasonings inside the meat, pre cooking and I am getting much more flavor. Tjiss summer I injected BBQ sauce and it made an amazing difference.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've done it in a roaster before though. That was before I got the cast iron skillet.

The taste is phenomenal!! Just like a rotisserie chicken!!!! :weber: