Cabbage and Noodles

homecook

This is a recipe my grandmother always made for Lent. I could eat the whole pan myself!! You can eat this as a meatless dish or as a side dish. You could also add kielbasa.

1 large head cabbage, roughly sliced
3 medium onions, sliced
1 16-oz. bag wide noodles
1 stick butter
salt and peper to taste

Chop cabbage and parboil til just barely tender, drain. Saute onions in butter. When onions are translucent add cabbage and combine. Cook noodles, drain. Add noodles to onion and cabbage mixture. Stir together and cook for 20-30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I make this in a large electric skillet.

Barb

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I believe it has Hungarian origins. Haven't made it in a while, but I grew up eating it. My parents called it <sp> hollishkis. Really great with homemade pasta :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Long time, no have! I'll make this soon - thanks for the reminder, Barb!

Lee

homecook

Long time, no have! I'll make this soon - thanks for the reminder, Barb!

Lee

It seems I never think of making this until Lent starts and I need meatless dishes. I love this stuff! I've got to start making it other times of the year.

Barb

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have even used the yolkless noodles and part oil to light it up a bit. Still very good!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

I'm thinking about making this with my leftover boiled cabbage from St. Pat's day, and maybe mixing in some Farmer's Cheese with the noodles. Oh, and fresh dill.

Whaddaya think, Barb? Or anyone?

homecook

Lee, it's funny you bring this up now. I've got some cooking on the stove now, using up my leftover cabbage. lol

I know a lot of people that do add some type of cheese to this. Goat cheese and cottage cheese come to mind. I've never tried it that way as I'm rooted in the way my grandmother always made it. I would give it a try, I'm sure it will turn out good.
102_4502.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a fave in my area! TY!

have not thought of cheese w/ haluski. hmmmm~

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, it's funny you bring this up now. I've got some cooking on the stove now, using up my leftover cabbage. lol

I know a lot of people that do add some type of cheese to this. Goat cheese and cottage cheese come to mind. I've never tried it that way as I'm rooted in the way my grandmother always made it. I would give it a try, I'm sure it will turn out good.

That is lookin' good. :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made mine from leftover St. Pat's Day boiled dinner cabbage. I added fresh dill. Yumm!

Lee
Haluski.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This stuff is comfort food and is ADDICTING!

I add dill.

Lee
Haluski.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, YUM!

I presume that butter was involved????

Lee