Loosemeat sandwiches

chowhound

This is based on a Rachel Ray recipe.

Add some EVOO to a skillet or large pan.
Add 1 lb of burger and break it up.
Season the burger. (I use salt, pepper and a little onion powder)
When the burger has browned, drain off some of the fat if it looks like too much. You want some for flavor.
Then sprinkle paprika on the burger and add about a cup of chicken broth or stock. Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer. Much like following a taco meat recipe. Keep breaking the burger up into small pieces.
Done is when the juices have reduced a little, but not completely.

I serve mine with finely chopped sweet onions, Vidalias are perfect if in season, and serve on a buttered and toasted kaiser roll. Put some of the juice on the bun. If the toaster oven is good for one thing, it's sticking sliced bread or rolls in it and turning to broil for a few minutes (lol).

Attachments

• loose meat sandwiches.jpg
    loose meat sandwiches.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 136

chowhound

Thanks, Q. Diced shrooms go good cooked with the meat, or diced garlic, but sometimes it's nice to keep ingredients to a minimum.

Love2"Q"

is this something that would benefit from cooking really slow ...
i was thinking of throwing some together in a pan and putting
it on the smoker when i do some ribs this weekend ...

chowhound

is this something that would benefit from cooking really slow ...
i was thinking of throwing some together in a pan and putting
it on the smoker when i do some ribs this weekend ...

I think the smoke would add a nice flavor, but I really think you need to be able to bring things to a boil then let it simmer down, like cooking taco meat. To get the full flavor of your seasonings.

I remember that recipe now, Keltin. Sometimes I add worcestershire sauce to these, but just a splash or it takes away from the chicken broth.

And thank you guys.

chowhound

Are these like sloppy joes without the sauce?

Looks delightfully messy.. :)

Yep. Nothing fancy, just loose hamburger with a different kind of seasoning & sauce.
And they are less messy if you use a big kaiser roll. That is, if you can refrain from piling on twice as much :lol:
Last night I piled the meat into taco shells.