Three-Cup Chicken

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is adapted from a recipe in my newest issue of Cook's Illustrated.

I couldn't find Thai basil so I used regular sweet basil. I was skeptical about adding it, but it made the dish unusual and delicious!

Lee

Three-Cup Chicken

Ingredients

cup soy sauce
cup Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
Sprinkle of brown sugar
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (I used 2 thighs)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced into thin half-rounds
12 garlic cloves, peeled and halved lengthwise
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
6 scallion, white and green parts separated and sliced thin on bias
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup Thai basil leaves, large leaves sliced in half lengthwise (or sweet basil)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

Instructions
1. Whisk soy sauce, wine, and sugar together in medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat; set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil, ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes in nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden brown and beginning to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add chicken and marinade to skillet, increase heat to high, and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in scallion whites and continue to cook until chicken registers about 200 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
4. Whisk water and cornstarch together in small bowl, then stir into sauce; simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in basil, sesame oil, and scallion greens. Transfer to platter and serve over white rice.

Attachments

• IMG_3900.JPG
    IMG_3900.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 137