What's cooking NCT Sunday, 7-16-17 to Saturday, 7-22-17?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Dining at work this evening--

Tuna salad on a pretzel roll bun with swiss and lettuce (yum!)
A little snack pack of sliced gala apple with caramel dip.

Johnny West

We eat a lot of tuna salad on this Whole30 and just got two more boxes of tuna from Merlino's. They ship free on an order like that. We are going to buy more crab, too. I want to make the drive to go fishing but not sure when.

Tonight it's salmon on the grill, from the fish we got in May.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Chicken thighs braised in fennel caramel, with roasted veges.

picture.php

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hot today. Went grocery shopping this morning and decided to pick up hero sandwich fixings. Tonight was Italian hero subs and tomato salad.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The plan tonight is Pan fried smoked ham steak, baby spinach and baby kale fried in ham drippings and mashed potatoes.

Dados1950

Last night....Mushroom stuffed Wild Boar Roast with Black Truffle Sauce...Wild Rice....Green Beans and Shallots Sautéed in Duck Fat & Black Truffle Butter.
A high level artery "clogger"....:wink::wink:....but delicious !

Johnny West

I've not had wild boar since I lived in Germany. I did a braise with Amsterdam gin and juniper berries. The kids sopped up the juice with their brochen.

Tonight was salmon on the grill.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The plan tonight is Pan fried smoked ham steak, baby spinach and baby kale fried in ham drippings and mashed potatoes.

Change of plans.

Glazed mini meatloaf (glaze: ketchup, mustard, Frank's hot sauce, brown sugar, BBQ rub, red wine vinegar), microwave steamed broccoli, roasted potatoes and mushrooms (my all purpose seasoning, powdered sour cream, freeze dried chives, salt and ground pepper and extra virgin olive oil).

meatloaf_071717_P1100134.jpg

Last edited:

Saliha

My today meal:

cahCxHS.jpg

Minced meat with tomato sauce, beans and vegetables, boiled vegetables, rice & oat grits and fresh lettuce from the garden.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Made a whole plate of fried green tomatoes and dipped them Walden's creamy bacon dressing.
Going out for ice cream later :D

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Monday night, Dogboa made a beef cashew stir fry with red bells, green onions, shitakis, and jasmine rice.

Tuesday night, we had a collard greens, tasso, andouille, trinity dish from a DDD cookbook. It was from a diner/dive in LA. Also had cornmeal pancakes with not quite enough sugar for me, but not so much that Craig didn't like them. Greens dish was pretty spicy. Craig said the DDD cookbook said to pour pancake syrup over it as a condiment. I couldn't do that, but he did and said it was pretty good, as well as cutting the spice.

Johnny West

I do that with pheasant - thanks for reminder.

Last night I grilled a Stewart's Meats rib eye with a baked russet and zucchini and onions on the side. The rib eye was excellent.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
A Quick Shrimp Salad, Salad with Country French Dressing,
Scallops, Seared, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Lentils, Snap Peas with a mild Curry Sauce....

It's nine A.M. and it's already an oppressive 84 degrees....... no cooking tonight... we'll see what's shakin' later in the day...

Shrimp Cocktail.jpg

Salad with Country French Dressing.jpg

Scallops, Seared, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Lentils, Snap Peas with a mild Curry Sauce,.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Lucky! You've made such beautiful dinners this week.
I love those Steamfresh protein blends.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to make shrimp bisque for dinner and have some crabbies with it. I would dearly love to have some of LT's scallops :wub: too.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Lucky! You've made such beautiful dinners this week.
I love those Steamfresh protein blends.

I have never had one until last night.... Saw them on sale; bought three....
This was the Thai one.... also got the Asian and the Hawaiian.....

THX for the kind comments ! I don't get too far afield any more, not like the old days, but I still enjoy trying to make the simple things look good. :kabob:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have never had one until last night.... Saw them on sale; bought three....
This was the Thai one.... also got the Asian and the Hawaiian.....

THX for the kind comments ! I don't get too far afield any more, not like the old days, but I still enjoy trying to make the simple things look good. :kabob:

I like the convenience of them of course.
Yes, I've had the Thai and Asian- wonderful!
You always have made simple things look superb.

Not sure what my dinner will be this evening- will likely pack something for work.

Now tomorrow thru Sunday afternoon I'll have my teen Granddaughter here.
She's already suggested a Chinese buffet,Red Lobster, Happy Daz..
Whatever she wants! :heart:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Last night was tossed baby greens salad with mushrooms, tomato and hard boiled egg.

It's 11:00am and already 95F feels like 98F. I may make split pea soup in the Instant Pot so I won't heat the house up.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
medtran, if you get the chance, would you please post your moussaka recipe somewhere, either in an existing thread (I think I've posted one) or a new one?

I'm always looking for eggplant recipes!

Lucky, I've never been able to get a great sear on scallops the way you did!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
medtran, if you get the chance, would you please post your moussaka recipe somewhere, either in an existing thread (I think I've posted one) or a new one? DONE

I'm always looking for eggplant recipes!

Lucky, I've never been able to get a great sear on scallops the way you did!

Lee

I agree, Lucky's scallops were beautiful. I got a really good sear the last time I did scallops. Used a SS pan (NOT nonstick), let it get absolutely screaming hot, just a tiny bit of oil, put them down, and then checked every couple of minutes until they were ready to release by themselves and were golden brown and lovely.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Tuesday night's dinner was Pan fried smoked ham steak, baby spinach and baby kale fried in the ham drippings and mashed potatoes.

Not a great picture but was very good. I really love the sautéed greens (smoked olive oil and my all purpose seasoning), perfect bitter and mild combo and goes well with mashed potatoes (sour cream and butter added. BTW this was my hub's plate. I had more greens, less taters, no butter added on top).

ham_spinach_kale_071817_P1100138.JPG

Still not sure about tonight's dinner. Heat index 99F.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Asian chicken, 3 rice salad with sweet hot peppers, green onions, lots of cilantro, mint, shiso, sweet onions, dressing of sesame oil, fish sauce, lemon juice, olive oil.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Medtran !
The biggest mistake I've made over time is trying to get a good sear on scallops using a non-stick..... About a year ago, I watched Gordon Ramsey do it, and he emphasized that a really hot skillet was a must, and non-stick would not be a reliable vehicle........ also, he uses a butter / oil combo, and does the "basting while cooking" technique.

Last night was a simple dinner; no stove or oven in this heat... air conditioner doesn't need more stress than it's already dealing with...

Deconstructed Italian Hoagie Salad (for two), Strawberries under a Balsamic drizzle...

Hoagie Salad, Italian, Deconstructed.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Hmm, I bet a deconstructed muffaletta salad would be really good too. Maybe with some homemade croutons to take the place of the bread? Craig's mentioned having a muffaletta again a couple of times lately, but I really didn't want to heat the oven for the time it takes to bake the bread for that.