Do you like Coconut? How about Pie?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A member (300 H & H) posted this over on Forums Forums. I'd never heard of it but thought you all would appreciate it.

300 H & H said:
This coconut pie makes it's own crust as it bakes. I kid you not :wink:..

It works well with gluten free flour for the wife..:wink: I used potato.

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

mix in the order given, then pour into a greased 10" pie pand (Big pan, and deep. I make 3/4 batch for our pan) and bake at 350 deg. for 45 minutes or golden brown on top like a cake, and set in the middle.

I like to add 1/4 cup more coconut and a 1/2 shot of coconut rum to mine as well....:whistling:

Wish I could see your faces when you discover the "crust" that is formed. Interesting phenomina I think.:ermm: But I do like it very much.

Best regards, Kirk

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=600337#post600337

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wow...this sounds really good. I have a recipe for peach cobbler that the crust rises to top when baking. Does this do the same? Is the crust on top?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not sure Mama. The original poster didn't say and I have not tried it yet. It sure does sound good to me though. and it does present some possibilities. :D

thegrindre

This is something I want to try. I love coconut cream pie.
Although, it sounds a little too sweet with all that sugar.

Thanks for sharing this one, Doc,
:)

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

I'm not sure Mama. The original poster didn't say and I have not tried it yet. It sure does sound good to me though. and it does present some possibilities. :D

that is a great recipe, I have used it OMG

I love coconut too, love coconut cream pie, this recipe sounds interesting.

Leni

I made it last night. Wonderful! I passed the recipe on to my friend who has that radio show about food. She loves coconut. Would there be any problem is she talked about the recipe on the air?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Leni, curiosity got the best of me so I did a little research and found out that this recipe has actually been around since the 1970's when it was called "Impossible Pie" and it was originally made using Bisquick. They have since changed the name to "Impossibly Easy Pie" and they have a whole variety of them both sweet and savory. They changed the name because they thought people were afraid to try it because it was called Impossible.

Some people use AP flour, some Self-rising flour and some use baking mix. I'm going to be giving it a try soon too! DH loves coconut.

Last edited:

Leni

I'm sitting here munching on the pie. I remember a whole bunch of those 'impossible pies' put out by Bisquick. Mom tried several but I didn't. I honestly can't see Bisquick as a part of this pie.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I see no problem with her talking about it on the air. She can even mention NCT if she wants (that would be awesome but she sure does not have to mention us).

I tried the pie last weekend too. Very happy with the results. It's not the same as coconut cream pie but it is good, and not to sweet for my taste.