Popcorn with truffle oil and cheese

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
While out to dinner on vacation this past week, my friends and I ordered this dish from the appetizer menu and it was absolutely fantastic!

I will make this!

Black kernel popcorn
Truffle oil
Shredded asiago cheese

Lee

Attachments

• Black kernel popcorn with cheese and truffle oil.JPG
    Black kernel popcorn with cheese and truffle oil.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 219

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
oh, yum. u have got me thinking now, lee- i get the D'argantan truffle butters sometimes, & i'm 'goin to 'iggle tomorrow nite. thinking that would be lovely too! & there's a bottle of truffle oil in the pantry, too- i hafta try both~

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
'iggle- one of a few pittsburghese slang terms for a grocery place we frequent- got it from my Gramps. AKA 'gint igle' & jynt 'igle

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, okay - thanks, luvs.

My favorite popcorn is Orville Reddenbacher's "Tender White". It tastes JUST like homemade popcorn, but so much easier! I just can't find it anymore. A friend was sending some to me from Arizona, but I haven't had any in awhile.

If you can find that, try it with the truffle oil and shredded asiago!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
the only black popcorn i could find tonite was microvawe. i don't have a micro. some guy snatched the 2nd to last bag of regular kernals, so i slipped into competive shopper mode & snatched myself that last one, hehe. i didn't get asiago, either- gotta watch the sodium so i allow minimal cheeses in the fridge now. the only grating cheese i have is parm reggiano so i'll use that. minimally.
i also got a container of black truffle butter. i'm making a semblance of your version w/ the truffle oil- (they have black popcorn kernals nearby, so i should get over that way & get them w/in a week-ish.) first the truffle butter, plain; then w/ cheese

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i made it w/ the oil, & parm reg. since, well u know; i explained in above post...... luved it!!!!!~ thank you so much for this thread on it. this is my new snack.:popcorn: it took literally 2 minutes. wasn't as pretty as yours, tho was good. tig even showed interest, lol, & the only people food he'll ingest is butter or stuff w/ butter on it. babbit tried some, too.:lol: she liked it. so good.

Attachments

• IMG_2700763.jpg
    IMG_2700763.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2713764.jpg
    IMG_2713764.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2718762.jpg
    IMG_2718762.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 164

QuirkyCookery

Ooo, this sounds really good. I've not had popcorn with cheese on it before, unless you count the powdered orange stuff, which is a bit strange. I adore popcorn, though, so may have to try this out.

And luvs, I love that last picture with the cat. I can't tell if he's curious of the popcorn....or of why you would set it down next to him, ha.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Luvs, so you just drizzled the truffle oil on top of the cooked popcorn, right?

You used some sort of regular veg or canola oil to actually pop the corn?

Your bowl looks delicious! Wish I had some right now, even though it's 7:11 a.m.!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
That is the question in my mind Lee.

I pop from scratch and was wondering if I drizzled the truffle oil or popped the corn in it..

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Another question - I have not run across black popcorn before. Other than color, is there a taste difference.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thanx, quirkyc.,..... & he's seeing if it's something he'd dine on. i knew he'd be interested tho wouldn't get too close to the bowl as there wasn't butter involved. he was snoozing next to me so i put it in front of him.

lee, adillo- i cooked in canola, then drizzled litely post-popping, shook, then drizzled again once it was in the bowl. made it twice last nite each bowl got a new coating of truffle oil & fresh cheese. & i can't say i've noticed a noteworthy difference in regular/black popcorn, myself, adillo, it's, to me, aesthetics. tho that's me. like when u buy colored cauliflower & that- different color, similar or same food.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ditto what luvs said about the black popcorn, Andy - it's pretty, but tastes the same.

Lee