Cuban Sandwich

AllenOK

Man, I love these! This is a good way to use up leftover roast pork.

Cuban Sandwich
Yields: 1 sandwich

Cuban Bread or a French Baguette, not crusty!
Mustard
Butter or margarine, preferably melted
Thinly sliced Cuban Pork Roast, or regular roast pork
Thinly sliced baked ham
2 - 3 slices of Swiss cheese
Dill pickle chips

Slice a 9” long piece of the bread, then slice in half horizontally. Spread the cut side with mustard, and then spread the outer crust with butter. Layer with slices of Cuban Pork Roast, baked ham, sliced Swiss, and dill pickle chips. Grill the bread in a sandwich press, Foreman Grill, or waffle iron until flattened and the cheese is melted.

chowhound

Or wrap the sandwich in foil, set it on your grill and set a brick on top of it (lol).
I love pressed Cubans. I use a spread that Bobby Flay had on one of his grilling shows; roasted garlic, mayo and mustard. That spread goes well on a lot of sandwiches.

chowhound

Been there, done that! Back in my vacationing days. After I had my first pressed Cuban, that was lunch every day from there on out (lol).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yours is pretty close to what they actually serve in a sandwich shop in Miami. Here is the one I go buy when making them. Oh and I born and raised there BC (Before Cubans) so I've sure eaten my share of their food. Oh they also make a great steak sandwich as well.

Cuban Sandwich

1 loaf Cuban bread
1-ounce regular mustard
4 dill pickles
5 slices boiled ham or Virginia ham
2 slices roast pork
1 slice imported Swiss cheese
1-ounce butter

Cut Cuban bread to desired size, common size is 7 inches. Next, slice open the bread down the middle. On the topside of the bread spread 1-ounce of mustard, evenly across. Then place 4 pickles on top of the mustard. You then place 1 slice of Swiss cheese on top of the pickles. Slice ham to desired thickness, recommended size is 1 1/2 ounces per slice, the thinner the better. Now fold each slice of ham in half and place evenly on bottom of bread. On top of the ham, place slices of roast pork, 1 1/2 ounces per slice. You then join both halves of the sandwich. You are now ready to grill your Cuban sandwich.

Use a sandwich grill if you have one, a waffle iron if not. Spread butter on top of the bread evenly. Close the grill, smashing the sandwich. Leave sandwich in the grill until top of bread turns to a golden brown, and top is crisp. Approximate time is 4 to 6 minutes. After the sandwich is crispy and the cheese has melted, remove the sandwich carefully and slice it diagonally, from corner to corner. DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE OVEN!

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 8 min Level:
1 serving

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For those who are pictorially inclined (sorry you can't see the melty cheese very well) ....

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made these again last night (yeah, St. Patrick's Day, but I had a lot of leftover pork roast).

I think they are kind of bland, don't you, Allen (or anyone)? I think they need some vinegar peppers or something something in there.

Lee

Served with asparagus salad

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 1,115
K

Kimchee

Qsis, I think I agree with you. Granted, the only one I've had was at
a Bahama Breeze restaurant, but it had the required ingredients and was
pressed.....

Rather bland and boring, in my opinion. I'd have to add something to kick it up
a little.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pico de gallo!!! Now that I know how to make it!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had leftover pork tenderloin and I ALWAYS have the other stuff to make these sandwiches.

This time I put a couple of thin slices of pepperjack cheese in there to spice it up a little. It helped.

Used marble rye.

Lee

Attachments

• Cuban.JPG
    Cuban.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,032

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had a small piece of leftover pork loin so I made a Cuban sandwich, with Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard, mayo and marbled rye. Didn't have any ham this time.

I can never seem to present this sandwich prettily!

Dinner included grilled ichiban eggplants and shishito peppers on the side.

Lee

Attachments

• cuban.JPG
    cuban.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 979

Shermie

Site Supporter
Made these again last night (yeah, St. Patrick's Day, but I had a lot of leftover pork roast).

I think they are kind of bland, don't you, Allen (or anyone)? I think they need some vinegar peppers or something something in there.

Lee

Served with asparagus salad

Dag, that looks DELISH!!!! :WitchBrewsSmiley: