why you need all wheel drive

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cool video, though.

How did the cars keep going around the circle sideways?

Photoshop?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - I watched and enjoyed the video. I did not notice which forum it was in.

I moved it here to Chit - Chat where the content is more appropriate.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
OK - I watched and enjoyed the video. I did not notice which forum it was in.

I moved it here to Chit - Chat where the content is more appropriate.

we had a discussion about how many sections in the new format.
there's so many that choices are difficult.
there's too many sections.
that's my opinion and if one does not like it one can stuff it, as per our resident whiner.
^^that line is actually in jest, in case you missed it.

note the words on the section used:
"if you don't know where to put it . . ."

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chowder, I agree. I would like to combine and revamp the forums. If you have time please PM me or post your suggestions for what to eliminate / combine etc.

Note, no posts would be lost as we would move them to the area they fit best.
This is not an easy task. I have spoke with the mods on this but we get wrapped around the axle and have not make what I would call progress. Just renaming but keeping the same number of forums does not help. I could make more sub forums to general areas ..but need guidance on what you think fits best. Pie Susan helped me with the current layout back in 2009 (THANKS Susan! :tiphat: ) ...It has worked or us but sure could use an update. Thanks.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
first, are you sure it's worth it?
on-line Forums are going the way of dial telephones. the technology still exists, but nobody uses it anymore. everything is FartBook, MyBlog, TwitFeces, etc.

failed / closed:
spiceplace.com
frugalgourmet.com
cooking.com
cookingtalkforums.com
cooks.com - Forum discontinued
foodieforums.com
food.com - Forum discontinued
and more....

there are other places that exist without participation.
cookingdiscussion.com - "The most recent post is . . . Feb 6th, 2016 at 5:33pm"
justapinch.com
ezcookingonline.com - Latest Activity: Mar 21, 2016
talkfood.com - scarce participation
forums.finecooking.com - last post 3 years ago

or near no participation:
cheftalk - 2-4 threads active per day
forums.compuserve.com/discussions/Cooks_Online_Forum - this used to have 300 msgs per day; 8 topics posted to in last 38 days (excluding FDA recall robopostings)
discusscooking.com - faded to 6-8 mgs/day
thefreshloaf.com - "today's posts" used to take up 2-3 screens; now it's unusual for that listing to exceed one page

then the two pseudo-Yelp sites - axxholes that do not cook, just critique eateries, slam other people, lots of posts, little info, big rocks thown:
foodtalkcentral.com - spun off in outrage at Chowhound.com
hungryonion.com - spun off in outrage at Chowhound.com

Chowhound changed management and a portion of the membership went berserk. it has actually rebounded a bit after all the axxholes left in a huff and/or got banned when they continued to act out.

foodtalkcentral set up as 'anything goes' - a lot of people left when every other post turned into "how many ways can I incorporate the f-bomb into this sentence..." contest.

hungryonion set up as 'we're all adults here - police thyself' which worked out about as well as you would expect. admin decided that any member should be able to edit posts; don't know what happened after that.

cheftalk goes up and down. they have a totally inane set up of "professional" and "amateur" sections, when a newbie wanders into a pro section they get whacked. the management keeps sending out emails asking "what's wrong?" - people tell them, they don't listen. participation takes another dive....

Shermie aka Big Daddy's House - last post 2107-01-19 in talkfood.com - who wander in tossing a couple MOABs around and leave are of no value. he is a 'Supermoderator' in cookingforums.net - and his last post two weeks ago: http://www.cookingforums.net/member/573-big-daddy-s-house and next most recent 4 weeks back. so not very many people will miss his participation.

as to sections as metric of good/bad/success/failure:
Chowhound - 26 + city/country locations
eGulllet - 8 + many regionals ie continent/countries subforums
cheftalk - 21
hungryonion - 4 + 4 subforums = 8
foodtalkcentral - 8 sections + Intro; + city/country locations = 9
cookingdiscussion.com - 24
justapinch.com - not navigatable - 9 "groups"
ezcookingonline.com - 5 "groups" - mostly blogs
talkfood.com - 31
cookingforums.net - 17 + total of 11 subforums = 28
compuserve.com cooks online - 12

netcookingtalk - 52
essentially double anything else - but there's no outstanding success stories anywhere in the 8 to 52 count.
but pages and pages of "sections" make use and navigation so challenging for user they simply don't come back.

"gee, it's hard"
have you researched tools for combining/merging whole sections at one go?
a total merge then a selective cull/move is usually much easier than one-by-one through every section.

if you're serious I'll give it more thought; been there done that, got 52 sections.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Cool video, though.
How did the cars keep going around the circle sideways?
Photoshop?
Lee

no photoshop, just physics.
the wheels are driving forward, ie pushing the car to the center.
but going in a circle, the car is "flung" outward by centrifugal force.
the driver has to balance the "being flung outward force" with the wheel (spin comma slight friction) pulling the car inward.

note the position of the front (steering) wheels - once the 'skid' has been initiated (not shown) the driver is steering into/out of the skid to maintain a 'nose to center' orientation.

I found a nice ice patch to play on with my Audi Quattro years back - all wheel drive, good weight distribution front/back, and well tuned power distribution between front rear axles makes lotsa' tricks possible.

in the first part, watch when the cars are driving parallel - you can see the driver hit the emergency/parking brake to induce the spin.... slight turn, brake the rear wheels, and around you go. automatic obviously, you have to shift into reverse once rotated - that can't be done with a stick.

inducing a slight spin in the Quattro, then hitting the gas, I could make the car "stand in place" and rotate about its' axis. you had to keep increasing power, so I could only hold it for 10-15 seconds until you top-rev'd the engine in 2-3rd gear. but, nice ice and nothing to hit makes for fun.