Parisienne Gnocchi

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This is a Jacques Pepin recipe that I found here: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/gnocchi-parisienne

1. 1 cup water
  2. 1 teaspoon salt
  3. 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  4. 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
  5. 1 cup all-purpose flour
  6. 3 large eggs
  7. 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gruyère or Asiago cheese (I used Gruyere.)
You can see the detailed directions at the link above. This is basically what I did.

Bring to a boil in a sauce pan: water, salt, nutmeg, 2T butter. Add the flour and mix. Place in a bowl and let cool:

IMG_1290.jpg

Add the eggs one at a time, 1/4 cup of the cheese, and beat until smooth. Place the mixture in a large baggie:

crop2.jpg

Cut a small slit in the bag and pipe the gnocchi mixture into simmering water and cook until they float:

IMG_1303.jpg

Plunge them into an ice water bath to cool. Drain on paper towels:

IMG_1310.jpg

Melt the remaining butter on a sheet pan, add the gnocchi and roll around to coat with the butter, sprinkle on the remaining 2T of cheese, and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Broil for a few minutes.

We had them with a brown butter sage sauce:

gnoccchicrop.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh. My. God! Those look absolutely ambrosiacical Cooksie!!

You could put browned butter sage sauce over just about anything and I'd love it, but those look spectacular!

Have you ever fried whole sage leaves in brown butter for garnish? They taste even better than potato chips!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh. My. God! Those look absolutely ambrosiacical Cooksie!!

You could put browned butter sage sauce over just about anything and I'd love it, but those look spectacular!

Have you ever fried whole sage leaves in brown butter for garnish? They taste even better than potato chips!

Lee

I saw Sushi's post http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586&highlight=brown+butter+sage and thought about it, but I wasn't that brave. I just lightly fried it, but I just may have to try that next time. Sometimes you've just got to branch out and try something new :chef:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wait a second, that's MY photo!!! LOL! How did Sush's name get on it???

(are we in the Twilight Zone?)

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Holy cow - those look and sound fantastic, Cooksie! And they will be perfect for me since I won't have to try and form the gnocchi with a fork or on a spoon. I'm going to make these tomorrow. Thanks, girlfriend!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks, FM :) - I think you'll really like them.

Had these again last night with pork tenderloin medallions. These gnocchi are from the same batch. I just cooked 1/3 the other night and froze 2/3's. I was skeptical that they wouldn't come out as well after they had been frozen, but they did. I just brought them to room temperature and then stood in front of the oven chanting.....rise, baby, rise:). Added a little more gruyere on these.

IMG_1382.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just bought a bag of frozen gnocchi.

If I thaw them, they should work with this, right? Man, yours look wonderful, Cooksie!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I don't know, Q-Sis. I've never used the frozen. Tell us if you give it a shot. I'd like to know.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thawed my store-bought frozen gnocchi yesterday and baked them in butter, then put a sage-butter sauce on them. I forgot the parm cheese.

They were interesting, but kinda chewy. Not nearly as wonderful as I imagine yours were, Cooksie!

Lee

Attachments

• Baked gnocchi.JPG
    Baked gnocchi.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Baked gnocchi, plated.JPG
    Baked gnocchi, plated.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 191

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yours look to be a potato based gnocchi, like the Italians make. Mine were a French pastry dough base...different animals :). I've tried the Italian style in a bag, not frozen, and didn't care for them.

Since you bumped this the other day, I've been thinking of using this dough to make mini chicken salad sandwiches with a take on LADawg's chicken salad with grapes.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, yeah, they WERE potato gnocchi, Cooksie! They were okay, but I love the looks of yours.

I just wanted to take a shortcut. :ermm:

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been thinking about this - whether it's wheat or potato they are all like a small dumpling, no?

Yep.

As I said, mine were okay - tasty, but not what I expected. I'm popping them for snacks.

My neighbor LOVES them.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The biggest difference I see in the two kinds are that the Parisienne is light and airy with a little bit of a crisp crust while the potato are more dense and heavy.

I would definitely call the potato style a dumpling. Maybe the others are technically dumplings too, but they don't strike me as a dumpling. I'm not sure what I'd call them except maybe light and airy little bites of goodness.