Ribs, fatty and ABTs. Sunday's BBQ

chowhound

Rubbin' da ribs with a mixture of brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, ground black pepper and cumin. I might have had some chili powder in there, too.
My version of L2Q's Italian fatty with cappicola, diced pepperoni & garlic.
Everything's put on the WSM.
I pulled the fatty and ABTs off and kept them warm while the ribs finished.
A carnivore's plate :biggrin:

Attachments

• 2-8-Qrubbedribs.jpg
    2-8-Qrubbedribs.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 2-8-Qfatty.jpg
    2-8-Qfatty.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 2-8-QonWSM.jpg
    2-8-QonWSM.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2-8-QfattyABTdone.jpg
    2-8-QfattyABTdone.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2-8-Q.jpg
    2-8-Q.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 78

chowhound

LOL, not after today Pancho ;^) Thanks

The jury's still out on the fattie L2Q. It was good..... but I'm not a huge fan of sausage unless it's a brat sandwich or something. And even then I prefer eating them cold out of the fridge the next day. Between the ribs and the turds, it definitely ranked third. I'm going to put some slices on a sub roll with a little marinara today. Yeah, it was good, but it didn't wow me. It'll probably be something I make once in a while and not everytime I Q, like I do with ABTs.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, OH MY GOD, chow!

Honestly, it all looks fantastic and you did a masterful job! :applause:

L2Q, I'm going to try that fatty - I've never done one, and Fred's looks wonderful to me (I love sausage).

Going to have to invite the neighborhood to share, since just looking at those pics is causing my arteries to clog. :lol:

Lee

chowhound

Thank you, Lee. You got me through some tough times figuring out my WSM and I owe a lot to you.

I was thinking..... (uh-ooh)..... maybe for my next "fatty" I'll make up some meatball mixture and use that instead of the sausage.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Good grief, I've just eaten my lunch and now I'm hungry for that lovely plateful.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ronjohn

That looks fantastic! Is that a tomato sauce on the fatty? (In the 2nd picture... prior to cooking)

chowhound

Thanks RonJohn.
Yep, it's tomato sauce. Look up Italian Fatty in this same forum. L2Q showed us this trick.

GrillinFool

Yes to both. For babybacks I like to cut down the 3-2-1 to more like 2-1-1/2 to 1. 3-2-1 gets them too done for me.

For baby backs I do the same thing. I cut it back. Even for the Spares I cut it back 30 minutes or so at the beginning and the end (2.5, 2, .5-.75). Ribs are supposed to be chewy not fall off the bone. Fall off the bone is just pulled pork and it is MUCH cheaper to go with a pork butt or shoulder than to make pulled pork with ribs

I rarely sauce mine anymore. I love the rub too much. I do for guests who like sauce because I make a MEAN sauce....I basically play to my audience. My in-laws are fall off the bone, sauce people. So for them I give them what they want and they gush over them. In the mean time I leave a slab back for me and put it on later than the rest so they aren't fall off the bone and I don't sauce them. They are raving about the ribs and I'm thinking, "it's not hard to do this and they would be much better if they weren't fall off the bone." I don't tell them that. Let them enjoy what they like.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Yes to both. For babybacks I like to cut down the 3-2-1 to more like 2-1-1/2 to 1. 3-2-1 gets them too done for me.

looks awesome ...i want some...lol

as for 3-2-1... its more like what chowhound said but i usually cook BB's or any other ribs until the meat pulls about 1/4" away from the rib then its time to wrap

chowhound

Thanks.
Spring is defintely in the air here. Well, it was sunny and in the upper thirties anyway, lol. It was easy to keep a nice steady temp. It felt good to Q again.