Who here likes gourmet salt?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I also cook almost everything from scratch - fresh/frozen veggies, very very few canned anything.

yesterday was chili - so's I'm looking at dark red kidney beans in the can....
store brand, "no salt added" - label sez: Sodium=zero
Bush's - 485 mg per serving
stuff can vary like crazy....

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Have you talked to your dr. Chocolate Moose? My DH has high blood pressure but his sodium levels are fine. He was diagnosed quite a few years ago and the dr. told him that his HBP was caused by stress. He prescribed a combination of medications and now, his BP is better than mine most of the time :lol:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
What do you do, then, if you have high blood pressure but a lack of sodium ?
I think it is difficult for an American to suffer from lack of sodium. I try to avoid salt as much as possible, but you have to actively search for salt free packaged goods and nearly all restaurant food is salted.

Even the olive in my nightly martini is in brine.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
My dr said, last week, that my blood pressure has been too low for too long, and that he wants me to get more sodium. I come from a family of high bloood pressure so we never had salt in the house and I continued that as an adult.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
"what has made a marked difference? oats - yeah, like they say on teevee.....
Cheerios about 2x /week, or hot oatmeal.
ground oatmeal vs. bread crumbs....."

Dang....all things I don't like :bonk:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>all things I don't like

heehee. the ground oatmeal is one you'll likely never notice.
I toss Ye Olde Standard Quaker Oats into the blender and zap 'em into a fine(r) meal.

now..... works for anything needed "flour" as a breading / coating - example: 50-50 mix with cornmeal for (gasp:gasp deep fried) butterfly shrimp

works well for "meat filler" - ala meatloaf / hamburger.
which is actually a curious funny - I use one whole egg (gasp: the yolk too!) per one pound of 85/15 ground beef. I use the oatmeal "flour" to soak up any 'excess' moisture.

same theory for salmon patties - omegas on oatmeal steroids - how can you miss?

the evil egg yolk - swamp-dried with oatmeal, bad "C" levels go down down down . . .
go figger.

this _will NOT_ work for every human on the face of the planet. our neighbor is on anti-c drugs because nothing nothing nothing worked for him including an increased use of oats / whole grains. how well did he "follow the diet?" - no clue.

his insurance forced him to switch from Brand Lipitor to a "generic" and his levels went through the roof.

some stuff works for some people
other stuff works for other people
and no, they don't know why.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just use Kosher salt or sea salt for most everything. Never tried any of the real fancy stuff.

i've got regular, no-salt, Salt Sense and sea salt.

Still have yet to use the sea salt though. :tiphat:

phreak

Every winter when it gets cold enough to cold smoke, I make it a point to smoke a couple cups of kosher salt, black pepper, and red pepper. It can add a nice dimension to dishes without using that God awful monstrosity called liquid smoke.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've been using liquid smoke for years.

The problem is, that if you use too much of it, your meats can taste like medicine!!

But it is said to have principally the same flavor in meat that you'd get if you cooked or smoked the meat out on the BBQ grill.

But now, I have the kettle Stovetop Smoker, which I still have yet to try. I'll use it sometime in late spring or early summer when the weather is warm enough, because the kitchen window has to be opened and a fan on to vent any smoke that might be produced to the outside.

Right now, it is still a bit too cold.

phreak

Sherman, I too used to use liquid smoke, and should have used a smiley to show that I was being sarcastic. It has it's place, but between having smoked salt, black pepper, red pepper, and of course good paprika, I don't find I have a need for it anymore.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>I don't find I have a need for it anymore.

likely because you've incorporated it into the smoked salt & pepper.
Liquid Smoke - and a bunch of alternatives - are (well, at least the ones not totally artificial / chem lab products) - the condensed vapors of (gasp!) smoke produced by combustion conditions similar to grilling / smoking.

run grill smoke past a pile of salt & pepper(s), vapors condense on the (cold) salt, badda-bing-badda-boom - same stuff only coating the salt/peppers vs. collected as a liquid.