Proper Panini Pressing... or why don't my sandwiches brown?

K

Kimchee

I have a Breadman Panini Press/Grill TR350. Nothing fancy, has settings for panini and grill.

My panini sandwiches don't get nice and browned like I've seen in pictures here (see the Cuban sandwich thread). http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600

I don't put a lot of butter/oil on the outsides... is that my problem, or do I
need to really squish them down, or perhaps my Breadman isn't heating well?

Guess I need a primer on proper Panini pressing, perhaps.....

Last edited by a moderator:

suziquzie

If you dont like all the butter/oil on your sandwich, spraying w/ Pam works well also. I've been making my grilled cheese that way...

K

Kimchee

So how much butter/oil do you put on the bread?
Does bread choice matter?
How hard does one squash? Is constant pressure needed?
And how long do you "cook" the average panininini?

Salivating minds want to know, LOLOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
(Kimchee, I inserted Allen's Cuban thread in your original post).

I melt maybe 2 T in the microwave, and brush both sides of the sandwich with it. If I have enough butter left, I brush the pannini press, too. If not I spray the grates with Pam.

I have the press heated up to Sear or Hot before I put the sandwich on, natch.

I pressed down very hard on the Cuban I made last night (very soft French bread) and it mashed down nicely. Stiffer breads have not, but I press down for maybe 15 seconds anyway.

My Cubans were big and stuffed, so I cooked them in the press for 10 minutes. The meats were hot and the cheese melted perfectly.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
With my cheap Wolfgang Puck model the secret is to let it heat up first before adding the sandwich. I rarely use butter on a Cuban sandwich or anything on the grille either as mine is non stick and works. I prefer grilled cheese sandwiches done the old fashion way on the stove top in a pan.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Make sure it's hot enough when you put the sandwich in...and then leave it in a bit longer.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have a secret to grilled cheese sandwiches -

I butter the outside or use butter melted in the pan, pan fry till nice and golden brown, then plunk them in the microwave _on a plastic grate!_ for 20 seconds to melt all the cheese inside.

allow to cool before cutting or eating! they do get piping hot inside.

works with everything from Wonderbread to English muffins to 12 grain to no-knead to left over drop biscuits to ....