BBQ/Steak Sauces vs Marinades

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
What is the difference?
Is there one?
I intend to make Lee's pork steaks sometime soon, and I don't have any bbq sauce in the house at the moment, but will get some for that recipe.

The reason I ask this question is, can you use a marinade sauce as the final topping on meat like you would a steak sauce, or is it meant strictly to use for marinating meats?
I bought something new from Lawry's yesterday and want some suggestions.
Thanks in advance. :flowers:

2009-11-28 20-25-49.079.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, I'd say they are different, not just the ingredients, but in the consistency.

Marinades tend to be thinner, more along the lines of say Italian salad dressing or vinegrettes.

BBQ sauce is much thicker as is steak sauce, most have more sugar than either oil or vinegar.

If you want to make your own BBQ sauce, it's very easy, and you always have this stuff at your fingertips. Thing is, I always have several bottles of BBQ sauce at MY fingertips, and opening a bottle is even easier!

But here it is.

Lee

Basic Barbecue Sauce (Kansas City Style)

1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic crushed
4 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Marinades are typically thinner and don't hold on as well during a coating like a BBQ sauce would. Such as when you are coating chicken while grilling.

They are typically thinner like a steak sauce, but usually have more salt content and can be a bit salty as a dipper.

If you like the taste out of the bottle (stick your finger in it and taste it) then you can use it as a coating sauce during cooking or dipping sauce at the table. There are no hard and fast rules with the many variations of bottled marinades these days. If you like the taste, then go for it.

To use it as a dipping sauce, I've found it better to heat it up first in a pot. Let it come just to a boil to kind of break down and then pour it in a bowl and serve. As it is heating, add a splash of vinegar of you like that tangy taste, or a bit of sugar or apple juice if you want it sweeter. OR - add crushed red peppers or hot sauce for some heat.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Also their purposes are different really. A BBQ sauce is more of a condiment while the marinate is more of a flavored tenderizer.