Pan Seared Salmon with Caper Sauce

Cooksie

Site Supporter
3697999596_637a1cae58.jpg

My husband and I had a little debate the other night when we began to cook this. I thought we should put the top side of the salmon down first to get the color and then flip and cook it on the skin side. Hubby said skin side down first so that it crisps up and holds the fish together better. We ended up doing it his way :rolleyes:, and it turned out just fine.

Before I posted this I wanted to know what most chefs said about which side to cook first. So, I went to the Food Network just to see what the consensus was over there. It was mixed. Some said skin down first, others advised just the opposite, and some just said sear on both sides; however, Emeril, who we think is very knowledgable, said skin down first. When I told my husband what Emeril advised, he came back with, "See, I'm not just another pretty face around here :tongue:."

This is more of a method than a recipe. Here's what we did:

2 salmon filets
olive oil
butter
lemon
capers

Drizzle olive oil in a skillet and heat to medium/high. I used a heavy, non-stick pan because I was afriad that it would stick and turn into a big mess :chicken:. When the skillet is hot, add the salmon filets (skin side down :)) and cook until you can see the fish begin to turn opaque. I like to let the line get at least to the center of the fish before I flip because I like mine opaque throughout. If you like it not so thoroughly cooked, flip earlier. The second side doesn't take long at all.

Remove the fish. Turn the skillet to low (or off for an electric), and add the butter, lemon, and capers to taste. I didn't put any seasoning on the fish before it was cooked, knowing that the capers would add enough salt for us.

Pour the sauce over the fish and serve with your choice of roasted vegetables.

It's fairly healthy, super easy, and we like it.

3702111380_66b2908c64.jpg

chowhound

ooh, I don't know about that... I'm not a big indoor fish cooker. No way mine would come out looking half as good as yours, plus your veggies are so healthy looking...
Although that's never stopped me from posting pics before :yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa! That second photo is a money shot, Cooksie!

Yeee -UM!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chow, your pictures and food always look great.

Q-Sis thanks for commenting on the picture. I usually have two choices when it comes to pic's, washed out pic's taken with a flash or pic's that are too dark with no flash. I usually go with washed out, but now I will have to re-think that.

Thank you, Mama!

chowhound

I usually go with washed out, but now I will have to re-think that.

Something I just picked up on this past week.
I was in the same boat, either the pic is too bright with the flash, or it looks faded. And I'm not taking pics for a living or hobby, so a point and shoot in auto mode works for me. Here's what I did my last couple pics of plated food; Back off a couple feet, then zoom in until the plate fills the frame (if that's the look you're going for). It will take some of the harshness off of the bright foods and a white plate when the flash goes off. Prior to that I was going for the closeup, but this will give you that closeup look without you being on top of the plate.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Something I just picked up on this past week.
I was in the same boat, either the pic is too bright with the flash, or it looks faded. And I'm not taking pics for a living or hobby, so a point and shoot in auto mode works for me. Here's what I did my last couple pics of plated food; Back off a couple feet, then zoom in until the plate fills the frame (if that's the look you're going for). It will take some of the harshness off of the bright foods and a white plate when the flash goes off. Prior to that I was going for the closeup, but this will give you that closeup look without you being on top of the plate.

I will definitely be giving that a try. I just figured with the zoom I would lose some of the quality, and I only have a 3 mp camera. Thanks for the tip.

chowhound

You are zooming such as small distance, a couple feet if that, I don't think you lose any quality. Typically that small a distance is still within the optical zoom and not the digital zoom of most camera.

High Cheese

Saucier
Great pics. The salmon and veggies look tasty. The rule of thumb is to cook the presentation side first. Since whatever cooking vessel or equipment will be at the best sear temp, the first side will look the best with good carmelization (Maillard).

For my pics I always use the close-up mode with no flash. If you're in a situation where you still need some flash, you can apply a few pieces of scotch tape over the flash to diffuse it a bit.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great pics. The salmon and veggies look tasty. The rule of thumb is to cook the presentation side first. Since whatever cooking vessel or equipment will be at the best sear temp, the first side will look the best with good carmelization (Maillard).

For my pics I always use the close-up mode with no flash. If you're in a situation where you still need some flash, you can apply a few pieces of scotch tape over the flash to diffuse it a bit.

Ha! Score one for me on the searing method :mrgreen:. I'll give the scotch tape trick a try too! Thanks for the tip.

urmaniac46

This is also my favourite way to cook our salmon. We do use a clarified butter instead of olive oil to cook in, the creamy taste of butter is to me a perfect companion to the rich flavour of salmon, though of course probably less healthy...:biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you're in a situation where you still need some flash, you can apply a few pieces of scotch tape over the flash to diffuse it a bit.

ah-HA! Scotch tape over the flash! Holding out on me, huh, Cheesey?

Just kidding - thanks for another tip.

I want to take pictures just like you when I grow up! :thumb:

Lee

mhend

Just found this old thread and this looks so good I am gonna give it try tomorrow night! Won't have to debate my husband on how to cook it either - he'll be gone for most the night! :)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just found this old thread and this looks so good I am gonna give it try tomorrow night! Won't have to debate my husband on how to cook it either - he'll be gone for most the night! :)

Lol--What a read! I did finally learn how to turn off the flash on the camera :bonk:.

I love salmon cooked like that.....gotta love capers. Does your husband like to cook too?

mhend

Lol--What a read! I did finally learn how to turn off the flash on the camera :bonk:.

I love salmon cooked like that.....gotta love capers. Does your husband like to cook too?

He does and is very good at it, but he makes a MUCH bigger mess than I do. :lol:

I do most the cooking because the kids have to eat by a certain time or they become little creatures that I can't believe I gave birth to. :w00t2:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:lol: Just the opposite here, I make a bigger mess than he does. How many times have I heard, "Why do you have to use five different spoons?"

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Bumped into a lot of fish recipes calling for capers lately....but never had them that I know of. Hard question to answer.....but what do they taste like? What do they bring to the dish?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
K, they taste sort of like green olives. They are salty and vinegary and absolutely delicious!

I was thinking I might make my next dirty martini with caper juice and a long string of capers on a toothpick or two, instead of olives.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
K, they taste sort of like green olives. They are salty and vinegary and absolutely delicious!

I was thinking I might make my next dirty martini with caper juice and a long string of capers on a toothpick or two, instead of olives.

Lee

Interesting! Thanks Lee! I'll look around and see if I can find some......a martini with them is even more incentive!! :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, and Cooksie, I missed this thread the first time around, but that salmon looks marvelous. Awesome job as always! :clap:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Briney. I use them alot with fish or Provencal style dishes.

I agree with this. They combine extremely well with those flavors, or those of many Mediterranean dishes.

In addition, I think they combine well with dishes using lemon or mustard. Think picatta - lemon & capers. I also do a beef with mustard & caper sauce.

K

Kimchee

That looks lovely! I might have to try a variation on this sometime soon!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I agree with this. They combine extremely well with those flavors, or those of many Mediterranean dishes.

In addition, I think they combine well with dishes using lemon or mustard. Think picatta - lemon & capers. I also do a beef with mustard & caper sauce.

Oh yes, chicken picatta....so easy and so tasty :brows:

High Cheese

Saucier

All my kind of flavors there.

Johnny West

Last night was pan seared coho salmon, just no caper sauce. I made my usual tartar sauce.

This was panfried in olive oil and liberally sprinkled with salt and pepper. It's simple but good.

Attachments

• ########Coho.JPG
    ########Coho.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 137