Sakura Sauce question?

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Has anyone ever tasted Sakura Sauce? It is served over chicken and shrimp at my favorite Japanese restaurant in Columbus. I've asked the chef how it's made and while he won't tell me specifics, I know what's it it. Egg yolks, oil, soy sauce and saki. Supposedly you have to beat the egg yolks (+) one whole egg along with 1 cup of the oil to start. When it starts to get thick you are supposed to add more oil. When it's the consistency you want you add the soy sauce (for color) and the saki. The sauce at the restaurant is a pale yellow/brown color and the consistency of mayonnaise. You grill the meat and when done, place a big dollop of this on the meat, squirt saki over top and let steam under cover until the eggs have set. YUM! My problem is I can never get the egg yolks and oil to thicken up. What am I doing wrong?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Took a quick look around the net. Here's a recommendation from Recipezaar

"Instead of using 3 egg yokes use the 3 egg whites and the 1 whole egg then follow the recipe blending with the 1/2qt of oil then adding the rest of the recipe after you get the mayonnaise consistency."

here's their original recipe:

3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 quart vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon salt
5 tablespoons soy sauce
cooking wine
Directions

1. In a medium bowl, add the 3 egg yolks, whole egg, and a little vegetable oil.
  2. Note: Be careful to add the oil very slowly. If too much is added at once, the mixture will separate and be wasted. You can tell the mixture has separated when it does not look smooth and creamy like mayonnaise.
  3. Using a hand-held blender, begin mixing until of mayonnaise consistency, slowly adding the rest of the oil.
  4. Add white pepper, salt, soy sauce, and remaining oil.
  5. Mix until well blended.
  6. Use with seafood or chicken, covering with sakura sauce when almost completely cooked.
  7. Sprinkle wine around food, simmering for 3 to 4 minutes, and serve.

Jim

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
sakura sauce

I tried using that exact recipe. Didn't work. I actually ran the blender so much that it got so hot inside, the eggs cooked! I hadn't thought about using egg whites, not sure it that would work, but hey, anything's a shot 'bout now!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
....and you got that 575watt Kitchenaid to whip em up in. :thumb: :yum: :D

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I think the trick is in using the egg whites. At least it sounds like a good idea.

Does that new rig have overdrive?

Jim