Recession Proof Cabbage Soup

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Kinda, sorta, hey it's what we came up with, and it is cheap to make! LOL!:

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1 small head of cabbage or 1/2 large head (We used green cabbage)
16oz tomato sauce (we used 2 8oz cans)
Salt and pepper to taste
1tsp sugar
2tbsp paprika
1 small onion diced
1 cup water

Directions:

Brown ground beef in large pot, drain off some of the fat but not all. Add tomato sauce, water, and onion. Shred and add cabbage, then add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for about an hour, low heat, stirring often. As it cooks the cabbage will release its water and thin it out. If, after an hour of simmering it is thicker than you want, just add some more water.
If you prefer it thicker (like we do, slightly thicker than spaghetti sauce), you can serve over rice or egg noodles.

Enjoy!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Cabbage soup will help you lose weight. There is even a cabbage soup diet.

lilylove

Mav...as soon as I feel better I'm going to make some! think I'll add a can of diced tomatoes too! Thanks!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
That reminds me of a dish I had once where cabbage and a ground meat sauce are baked together.

lilylove

It is really good. I make it without the meat...just to save on the calories. Bet it's wonderful with the beef.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I am glad you like it!! It is great with ground beef... but next time we are going to try some ground sausage to see what that is like!

lilylove

This time... I used two cans of chicken broth and one beef and one veggie broth. ( added way toooo many veggies!) Turned out really good. Paul loved it!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Great! Sounds like you have made this your own, you should post up your latest version... I would love to try it out!