ABT cheesecake

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ok i seen this and i had to post this..this not my recipe and it is not tested..YET>.lol

ABTcheesecake.jpg

Crust
2 cups finely ground corn chips
1/2 t chipotle powder
1/2 cup chopped, crisp bacon
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 T bacon grease

filling
1 lb cream cheese, softened
1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1 cup pepper jack, shredded
1 pint sour cream
3 large eggs
1/2 cup finely chopped, roasted jalapenos (8 - 9)
1 T honey
zest of 1 lemon
2 - 3 dashes hot sauce.

mix the crust ingredients lightly and press into an 8" springform pan.
Refrigerate for 5 min to set up the crust and bake 8 - 10 min in a 325º oven, set aside.

Beat the cream cheese on low for a minute or 2 till smooth. Add the eggs 1 at a time and continue beating till combined. Gradually fold in the rest, scrape down the sides of the bowl, pour into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
Set the pan on a large sheet of foil and fold up the sides around the pan. Place the pan in a larger pan and add boiling water till the water is about halfway up the side of the springform pan. Bake in the centre of a 325 oven for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. the cheesecake will still jiggle, be careful not to overcook. Let it cool for a half hour in the pan then chill in the fridge for 4 hours loosely covered. Loosen the cake from the pan with a sharp knife and unmold. Tranfer to a serving plate.
Some garnish suggestions: candied jalapenos, carmelized onions, guacamole, pico de gallo, jalapeno jelly.

bbqguy

Hi, just wanted to claim responsibility for the ABT cheesecake recipe and pic. I don't mind its appearance here, actually, I'm flattered.
I found the post (and the forum) when doing a google search for the original recipe. I think it was created by a guy by the handle of "Chez" on another BBQ site. I tweaked it and tested it and posted, then lost the link and the recipe.
At the time I played around with it, I was operating The Great Canadian Bar-B-Q Company and served it a couple of times at caters with a great degree of success.

Anyway, thanks for saving it here for me, I'll be serving it again this weekend.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi bbqguy!

Hope you get a chance to look around our NCT site, like it, and decide to stay!

I spend a lot more time here now than I do on the BBQ Forum, since I haven't competed in several years. That forum taught me how to cook award-winning bbq, for sure!

Haven't seen any signs of Chez anywhere. He was (is?) one creative cook!

If you make that ABT Cheesecake again, would you please post a photo of a SLICE here?

I'm intrigued!

Thanks!

Lee

bbqguy

Thanks for the welcome, Lee. Honestly, I'm surprised I hadn't found this forum long ago. Maybe 'cause I'm Canadian it slipped through the cracks. The BBQ Forum and BBQ Bretheren were really the only US based forums I took part in. Oh, and Dave Klose's forum when it was operating.
I plan to make the cheesecake again soon; I will post a pic of a slice when I do.
I do miss Chez's contributions. You're right -- a creative cook, for sure.
I retired from catering about 5 years ago but still do some cooking for family. I never had the urge to compete; never could justify the time it would take from business.

I did some tweaking, as I said, ---
replaced the butter with more bacon fat
increased the bacon (double smoked) to 3/4 cup
used raw japs, seeds and all, minced
and, used all 10 yr old cheddar (2 cups), skipped the pepper jack.
Actually, pepper jack is an American thing, I think, I've never seen it here.
I probably used fresh ground pepper in the crust and the filling, too. I have a hard time putting the pepper mill down LOL

Worked for me!