Anyone getting in the mood to start baking bread?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
With the cooler temps arriving in the upper reaches of the country, this usually kicks off the start of bread baking season. It's going to be 63F in Northern Ohio today, and my honey whole wheat is out of the oven and the Italian bread has about 10 minutes left. I bake bread year round, but I wondered if anyone else is getting the bug to start baking bread again?

P1020688.jpg

Phiddlechik

I think I'm going to make pretzels today. I've never done them before, but would like to do some for my cooking/music class. I was thinking of doing a shortcut, using frozen bread dough, but might just make them from scratch today, then do them from the frozen stuff later and compare the two.
Your loaves look fab!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Please post your pretzels and the "scratch" recipe when you're done. We would all like to see the pretzels and steal the recipe.:yum:

Red Apple Guy

Ahhhhh....Dude! Works of art they are (usual for you).

I made my first bagels today (forgot to proof half of them after shaping and went straight to the boiling water bath. Duhhh! I guess I couldn't wait to boil those puppies. The others rose for 20 minutes as they all should have. So some of these below actually resemble bagels. Some...not so much. They are were fine in the crumb and crust and delicious. These are 100% whole wheat per Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads recipe. RAG

Phiddlechik

hahahaha! Recipe? I just put some yeast, flour, warm water, brown sugar in a bowl, stirred it up. Then when it got bubbly, I added more flour, (white and some Hungarian high elevation whole wheat), salt, and oil. Kneaded it. It's rising now. I'll take some pics when it's done. I basically did a google search for recipes, then went from there. Looks like barley malt syrup or brown sugar is the sweetener of choice. Otherwise, a pretty standard bread recipe. No eggs, no milk. I'll update...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Having a wonderfully cooled kitchen, I've been baking nonstop. This is a change, too..since the last kitchen I had (for 18 years) was horribly hot. No baking till the end of September!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm with JoeV - I also have been longing to make pretzels, so we are all waiting to see how your pretzels turn out, Phiddlechik, Red - I love your bagels. That's another thing I have been thinking about making. Yours look really good. It's not that much cooler today, but baking is on my mind - I'm having company for dinner tomorrow night and I think I'll make cornbread to go with chile-rubbed pork loin and sweet potatoes. But some interesting yeast bread would also be good. I'll decide by morning.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Boy the bread, pretzels, bagels all look great! My weekend was "bread related" but not baking. We took down a 30" hickory tree so we'll have wood next year for the WFO. Man am I out of shape. Got about a cord split and probably another 2 cords on the ground. Don't know if I'm gonna do any splitting today ...

Mr. Green Jeans

Thoughts of bread baking are rising as the days get cooler and shorter. Now that DW and I are residing in the same state and under the same roof, time for such projects is within reach. Like Un, I have wood to split only for winter heat before the rainy season hits. A major el nino is happening in the Pacific and we're supposed to be VERY wet this winter.

vyapti

I've been baking no knead bread once or twice a week. Last night I made a loaf with basil, thyme and garlic. The while loaf went to grilled cheeze sandwiches.