How do I get a good crust on sea scallops?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love pan-seared sea scallops in restaurants and have seen beautiful photos of them in magazines.

But I have yet to be able to re-create the nice dark brown crust when I pan-sear my scallops.

Have you? How?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Lee - I have never tried it, so I did a little research (Links below). All the links that I read seem to emphasize that the scallops be rinsed and patted dry. The oil must be a mixture of olive oil and butter, finally, the pan has to be real hot. One link suggested just at the smoke point.

Hope this helps.

Andy

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/fishseafood/ss/searseascallops.htm

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/master-seared-scallops.aspx

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/seared-scallops-recipe.html

Leni

Take a look at them before you buy. Some are treated and have a lot of liquid in them. They will be sitting in a puddle of liquid. They will not form a crust. Look for ones that look a little sticky. They do need to be patted dry and seared in a very hot pan. Peanut oil would be a good choice because of its very high smoke point.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I use frozen sea scallops. I thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. When they are fully thawed, I rinse them, pat them dry, put them on a couple layers of paper towels (top and bottom), and put them back into the refrigerator. When the paper towels get soggy, I change them out. If those get soggy, I do it again :fridge:.

I use a mixture of butter and olive oil in a non-stick pan. Some people say that you shouldn't use non-stick, but it works for me. I've done them in stainless and cast iron too. Non-stick just works best for me, and it's the easiest clean up.

I would love to get my hands on some dry pack, but that's not going to happen around here.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if they've been IQF on the boat, odds are they are "dry"

they're treated with phosphates to "keep them fresh (looking)" - especially on day boats - that are sold "fresh" to the markets.

I do them in cast iron - hot - hot - hot - with just a dribble of olive oil. then melt a small pat of butter on top when them come out of the pan.

I have also done them in alum non-stick; better results in cast iron methinks. I'm guessing the aluminum "chill shocks" and hence once does not develop that initial crust.

as with other sears, one trick is: thou shalt not move thy scallop
in the pan, where ever it lands, until 'done' on that side.....

Shermie

Site Supporter
I love scallops also, either broiled, fried or wrapped in bacon slices and baked!!! Delish!!! :eating2:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>> buying water/ice at $15/lb....

that's one of the things that always bothered me about buying shrimp "over the counter"

in our location, except for mussels and clams - "fresh never frozen" seafood is a rarity. happens with some high end salmon and steelhead. highly seasonal; very limited supply. take two wallets when shopping . . .

depending on one's 'timing' at the shrimp counter, been always bugged by the large amounts of ice. if the frozen-going-to-thaw shrimp are relatively 'fresh' under the glass, huge amounts of ice going on the scale.

once upon a time I came across the fish monger 'replenishing' the counter. she was cutting open two pound bags - the same thing that's in the frozen section - and dumping them into a tray to thaw under glass. well, thought I, I can buy a frozen bag and thaw them meself to the exact quantity I need versus guesstimating a pound qty.... frozen stock is my current practice.

and I learned the sea scallops are the same deal - they simply open a bag of the frozen stuff "over there on that shelf." however when the store mis-estimates the supply-and-demand bit (the fish monger retired, her replacement is not up to the required fin-abilities....) I've twice gotten nice fat scallops only to find they reek to high heaven - and had to take them back. fortunately, I'm close enough to the supermarket that the dinner schedule wasn't severely impacted. but sure got my dander in a dander....

anyway, getting to the end of this shaggy dog story - just bought a 2 lb bag of wild caught, sustainable, domestic/Gulf shrimp, 21-16 count.

so I weighed it. it weighs in at (non-trade legal scale) at 2 lbs 5.5 ounces. allowing one ounce for the bag, that's 2lb 4.5 ounces of shrimp, which is an 'over pack' of 4.5 ounces and (4.5/32=0.14) is 14.0635% by weight "free"

but that's not the end of the story. "underweight" packaging is the number one way to find oneself in court. packing oatmeal, one can quite accurately reach the fill weight.... one oat flake does not weigh so much.... but for shrimp, it's plus or minus one shrimp to make the advertised sold weight. hence, if the package is the slightest bit 'underweight' the packager must add one shrimp.

21-26 count,
the largest shrimp is 0.761905 ounces, or 2.381% of a 32 ounce bag
the smallest shrimp is 0.0615385 ounces, or 1.923% of a 32 ounce bag.
deducting those percentages from the 14+% "over pack" puts the whole deal above and beyond the "10% water" charged at $X/lb.

this is of course just a mathematical exercise on one single bag. regulatory agencies don't get all that excited about one bag - they get excited about "whole skids / cases" of product that consistently turn up "under weight"

the point? there is one.... if you're buying ice encrusted shrimp/scallops/fish over the counter, you're not buying a "2 lb package that (may) weigh more than two pounds" - they put the ice encrusted product on a scale and you _are_ paying $x/lb for "ice and all" _exactly_

the heavy duty shoppers have certainly noticed that shrimp - as an example - is often 'on sale' - and frequently as a 'loss leader' - a price per pound seriously less per pound than the "frozen bag on the other shelf"
if the shrimp is not ice encrusted, major deal for use "today" - otherwise could be iffy depending on the 'discount'

the same analysis applies to scallops - but note that plus or minus one scallop is a bigger percentage / weight than one shrimp.

so today I bought a one pound bag, frozen - 10-20 scallops per pound (now there's a "range",,,,,)
weighs in (using one ounce for the bag) at 1 lb 2-3/8 ounces. that's 14.84% "overweight"
did not do the % by count analysis as a 100% variation in count (the 10-20/lb thing) is a bit way out.

so, them be yelling about paying for 10% water might actually be a smidge misguided.....

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
. Some are treated and have a lot of liquid in them. They will be sitting in a puddle of liquid. They will not form a crust..

This was EXACTLY the case when I bought scallops last week, Leni!

I will not make that mistake again - not for $15 a pound! Not for $2 a pound! They were blah!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
watch whom your purveyor buys from. ppl inject meats/seafoods w/ a saline to tack on fruitless $$. they won't sear properly.
or, get a cast iron skillet to accomplish searing (pre-warm that pan). if that food resists turning, let said food continue cooking until 'tis properly cooked & easily turns.

rocket_j_dawg

I use frozen sea scallops. I thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. When they are fully thawed, I rinse them, pat them dry, put them on a couple layers of paper towels (top and bottom), and put them back into the refrigerator. When the paper towels get soggy, I change them out. If those get soggy, I do it again :fridge:.

I use a mixture of butter and olive oil in a non-stick pan. Some people say that you shouldn't use non-stick, but it works for me. I've done them in stainless and cast iron too. Non-stick just works best for me, and it's the easiest clean up.

I would love to get my hands on some dry pack, but that's not going to happen around here.

I do the exact same. They have to be dry, dry, dry before you even think of putting them in the pan. And I only buy them from a very trusted fish vendor we have in town. Sea scallops, not bay scallops.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

WOW!

I just saw the photo below in a recent dinner thread. Cooksie's method evidently DOES work beautifully for her!

I will certainly try it!

Nice job, Cooksie! Do you season the scallops with anything before searing?

Lee

Attachments

• PanSearedScallopsoverRicePilaf.jpg
    PanSearedScallopsoverRicePilaf.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,223

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've heard about dry scallops for years, but have never seen any to buy. They don't have anything added to them and they are much easier to sear. Market Basket had a sale on them this week so I bought 6. A little over $1.00 apiece.

Used Alton Brown's simple recipe in a stainless steel pan. Turned out great and I loved them! https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/seared-scallops-recipe-1916984

Served with caprese salad (just "eh") and Aunt Stella's Wilted Lettuce (always wonderful).

I opened a cold bottle of Chardonney to go with. Very good!

"Translucent in the middle, tender, glistening, Master Chef-worthy".

Will definitely do these again!

Lee

Attachments

• Scallops 1.JPG
    Scallops 1.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 956
  • scallops 2.JPG
    scallops 2.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 951
  • scallops 3.JPG
    scallops 3.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 929

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The dry pack scallops are wonderful in a crudo presentation with citrus juices that "cook" the scallop slices. You cut them in half or in thirds horizontally.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
here's an idea for nicely searing dry pack scallops:

pre-heat a cast iron pan in the oven to 500'F
takes minimum 40 minutes.

swish with end of butter stick
plop in the scallops
close the oven

after 6-8 minutes check for sear, flip scallops to a previously unoccupied still preheated spot - add a bit of oil as needed to 'wet' the pan surface prior to flipping.
remove when done.

getting a uniform high 500'F temp on a cooktop can be tricky.
difficult to burn the scallops in the oven.

ps: does not work with wet pack. been there, took a pix, not so appealing. all the liquid comes out & makes a mess, scallops shrink to near nothing....

"How Not To Do This"
IMG_0184.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of scallops...
I was just viewing the latest cooking drama on that other forum.

:yum: :rolleyes:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Not going to comment on the drama, but why in the world, other than covering up the fishy taste from the wet pack solution, would you use all those spices and chile peppers on a scallop for goodness sake?!! Scallops have a light, delicate flavor and you have to be careful not to overpower them with whatever is served with them. I just don't get it. Why bother spending all that money, even for wet pack, if you are just going to cover up the taste so much it might as well be chicken or pork?

I refrained from asking the above because I figured I would really get flamed if I did.

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I don't eat scallops but I do agree that a delicate food shouldn't be over powered so much that you can't taste the actual flavor of the food.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love them.
The few times I've prepared them, I believe I blotted them with paper towels, then did them in a skillet/ in olive oil with a little Old Bay.
This has been years ago.
I'm thinking it's while I was active on Barb's cooking forum.

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I love them.
The few times I've prepared them, I believe I blotted them with paper towels, then did them in a skillet/ in olive oil with a little Old Bay.
This has been years ago.
I'm thinking it's while I was active on Barb's cooking forum.

I miss Barb and JoeV.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have no clue as to 'the other unmentionable site' so the drama has completely passed me by; alas and alack....not!

but indeed many many many fish/shellfish/seafoods need a minimal touch.
drowning the dish in brimstone peppers and/or other overpowering seasoning defeats the whole idea.

we had dinner at a farm-to-table "specialty eatery" the other night. meat loaf - grass fed/finished beef doctored to death with herbs. one point shy of inedible.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I found some dry scallops and I used a little bit of everyone's technique to sear them tonight!

Put scallops on layers of paper towels and patted dry with more towels on top. Kept in fridge for a coupe of hours, in the towels.

Took scallops out, seasoned one side with salt and pepper.

Put a cast iron pan in a cold oven and heated the oven to 500 degrees. Kept the pan in there for about 15 minutes after oven reached 500.

Put hot pan on stove burner on high. Poured in some avocado oil and heated to smoking. Laid in scallops, seasoned side down, then seasoned the other side while in the pan.

Seared scallops on first side for 2 minutes, then flipped, and added a chunk of butter to pan. Seared other side for 1 minute or less.

Wonderful!

But the butter got very brown, very quickly. Tasted fine, but I like Chowder's idea of putting the butter on the scallops after taking them out of the pan.

Will try that next time.

Lee

Attachments

• Scallops.JPG
    Scallops.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 268

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
good looking !

the key is to have a really hot pan, very little oil/fat, and dry scallops.
'all butter' as the only and too much fat will burn at roughly 250'F - a little butter will give you a bit more color, but too much makes for bitter burnt....

I checked the package on the Weis dry pack scallops. there is zilch info on "packed by" - I was hoping to discover the supplier behind the 'store label'
the "lot number" shows '02689 2722' - now,,,, the 02689 is suspiciously like a USDA "plant code" and digging in it does trace to American Foods out of Norfolk, VA - all good so far.... but their coding indicates M for meat and P for poultry processing. nothing about shellfish. if you're looking for dry pack just check the label ingredients section. anything listed other than "scallops" is very likely a preservative and plumping agent/chemical.

I usually preheat the CI on low gas flame, then when the handle is too hot to touch (my version of 'yup, it's preheated') add peanut or safflower oil and crank up the flame until it is quite literally giving off smoke. the oven preheat is another method.

I'm exhausting my peanut oil and moving away from peanut oil . . . I find it imparts a taste...that I don't like. safflower seems to remain quite neutral.